Resurtification demanding personal information from Bank Statements

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Member 131707

Jurisdiction
California
Is it legal for HUD to see the part of our bank-statements that tell where and how much money we spend during the year? We have to be recertified every year which I think is perfectly reasonable, but they recently started demanding our whole, bank statements which show where and how much we spend each year.

All I believe they need to know, rightfully, is how much we deposit in the bank, our income in other words. That is what our rent is based on in Section 202 HUD housing for seniors over 62 and the disabled.

Thank you for any replies, and please provide documentation, or cite your source.

please provide documentation, or cite your source.

I'm sure there is plenty of documentation of the HUD Section 202 rules. Plenty of links to the HUD 202 website at the following search result.

hud section 202 at DuckDuckGo

Section 202 is a government subsidized benefit for seniors. Like any government subsidy you follow the rules for qualifying for the subsidy. If HUD wants your bank account statements for continuation of your subsidy then you provide your bank account statements or you are free to decline the subsidy.

You assume I'm too stupid to look there first, and searched several different words/phrases already? Maybe hud isn't listing those sort of Q&A's because it's illegal to demand to know what your personal expenditures are? I hope you aren't planning to be a lawyer. If so, I pity anyone seeking advice from you.

You assume I'm too stupid to look there first, and searched several different words/phrases already? Maybe hud isn't listing those sort of Q&A's because it's illegal to demand to know what your personal expenditures are? I hope you aren't planning to be a lawyer. If so, I pity anyone seeking advice from you.
What an extraordinarily rude comment. Go pay an attorney to put up with your attitude.

Typical shoot the messenger response from somebody who didn't get patted on the head and told he's right.

Since you didn't say what you had done so far I could only assume that you did nothing so I started from scratch.

Now I'll echo justblue's admonition.

Go pay a lawyer to put up with your attitude.

Thread closed.

Beyond rude. It never fails to surprise me how people who receive government benefits believe that it's an invasion of their right to privacy to not provide proof that they are eligibility. Easy enough for anyone to search for a document on HUD eligibility . And if they don't want to have their entire life displayed on their bank statement, they have alternative methods to how to spend to avoid disclosure. At least they seem consistent in expecting everyone else to work around their preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back