Restraining order filed

lisa texas lass

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I went to police and was granted a restraining order againist a roommate i was renting a room to in a house that i own. Assault battery etc. He put locks on the room he has rented and left lights on. He is not allowed here and my court date is march 2 . if he goes to jail which im sure he will. My brain scrambled now after this incident, what and who gets his things out
O

When you are in court ask the judge to give you a writ of possession (so you can get into the room) and a court order allowing you to dispose of his belongings if the roommate's representative (not the roommate obviously) doesn't pick up the stuff within a reasonable amount of time (say 10 or 15 days).

If you cannot accomplish that in court that day you will have to follow the NJ statutes on tenants' abandoned property ( 2A:18-72 through 2A:18-82) at:

2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes :: Title 2A - ADMINISTRATION OF CIVIL AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE

As onerous as they may seem, if you don't get it exactly right you could end up paying your roommate a great deal of money for a claim for property.

Back