Resident/Registered agent address

mpbarber

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I am a dues paying member of a domestic nonprofit Michigan corporation formed on a non-stock membership basis. The resident agent listed on the articles of incorporation is the President of the board of directors. The Secretary of the board of directors has filed a small claims complaint against me which I have demanded and had moved up to the next "court level".

I have had a hearing and the judge said that the Secretary can act on behalf of the corporation since the President is allowing it.

We were instructed to provide each other with a witness list and exhibits within 2 weeks.

The President has recently sent me a text message telling me that the only way I would be allowed to contact her or any board member would be through the US Mail to the Corporate PO Box. I sent a registered letter a month ago on a different subject and it was refused.

Since the secretary/acting resident agent is not listed on the articles of incorporation (I have his name and address) and the name and address of the "listed" resident agent is the president.......

Which individual should I mail the information to?

Did you get sued by an HOA?

Beats me. In that case I would mail a set of documents to each using tracking and a delivery confirmation but not requiring a signature at this point.

What bothers me, though, is:

next "court level".

I have had a hearing and the judge said that the Secretary can act on behalf of the corporation since the President is allowing it.

What is the "next court level" above Michigan small claims? Generally, a corporation can only be represented in court by an attorney.

I can't tell who's actually suing you. First you wrote that "[t]he Secretary of the board of directors . . . filed a small claims complaint against" you, but then you wrote that the court ruled that "the judge said that the Secretary can act on behalf of the corporation ." So who's suing you? The secretary or the corporation?

Also, why did you have the case "moved up to the next 'court level'" if you don't know how to deal with basic issues like this and (apparently) are not represented by counsel?

All that being said:

Anything that needs to be served on the opposing party should be served on the party or the party's lawyer at the address that appears on the party's pleadings filed with the court.

Back