Representing someone

Status
Not open for further replies.
New York DMV Traffic Violations court

Guys

I plan to represent a friend at a court hearing for a speeding ticket. She is a law-abiding citizen but it so happened that she was in a rush on this day to get to a doctor's appt for her mom. Of course, I can't use that as an argument in court

I have a question about representation though - I'm not a legal attorney by profession. Can I still represent her? I basically want to present all the facts of the case and ask a few questions of the police officer. Do I have to fill in any forms, etc or just show up with her at court?

Thanks

You're not an attorney.
You're not licensed to practice law in NY State.
Even if you were a lawyer, but not licensed to practice law in NY, you wouldn't be allowed to represent her unless you filed a pro hac vici motion.
But, only lawyers can file such a motion.
In short, no, you won't be allowed to represent her in court.
But, you can coach her at home to represent herself in court.
Or, she can take an online traffic school course, and the whole incident gets wiped away.
If she goes to court, it's a crap shoot, and she'll probably lose anyway.
Fewer than 5% of cited motorists prevail in traffic court.
And, most of those are represented by lawyers.
Traffic school works 100% of the time, if you do the work!

New York DMV Traffic Violations court

Guys

I plan to represent a friend at a court hearing for a speeding ticket. She is a law-abiding citizen but it so happened that she was in a rush on this day to get to a doctor's appt for her mom. Of course, I can't use that as an argument in court

I have a question about representation though - I'm not a legal attorney by profession. Can I still represent her? I basically want to present all the facts of the case and ask a few questions of the police officer. Do I have to fill in any forms, etc or just show up with her at court?

Thanks

Does this apply even if this is not a real judge and not a real court? Instead, it's a court held by an administrative law judge
Just google this term and you'll see a definition (can't post links as yet)

Does this apply even if this is not a real judge and not a real court? Instead, it's a court held by an administrative law judge
Just google this term and you'll see a definition (can't post links as yet)

Tell me the answer YOU want me to post, I'll just say you're right.

I want you to recite the national anthem here

thx
Gerald, AJ is absolutely correct in his very first post to this thread.

Don't be a twit.

You know what happens when you act like a twit?

You end up getting into trouble for practicing law without a license.

When you get into trouble for practicing law without a license, you could end up facing incarceration.

When you end up facing incarceration, you end up broke and wearing lipstick. While you're still inside.

When you're broke and wearing lipstick you end up working the corner of 53rd and 3rd*.

Don't end up working the corner of 53rd and 3rd.

___

*look it up ;)

No, you cannot represent your relative or friend. Period. Okay?

Lol haha - your post made this thread actually fun to read! what's on the corner of 53rd and 3rd? Wiki article talks about gay bars but looks like that's back in the 90's - i think they are gone

That has got to be the most hilarious post this year.
Heck, Pro, that might even be the most hilarious post of all time on this forum.
That made me giggle, laugh, and finally: :) -:) =:)

Thanks, Pro.

Gerald, AJ is absolutely correct in his very first post to this thread.

Don't be a twit.

You know what happens when you act like a twit?

You end up getting into trouble for practicing law without a license.

When you get into trouble for practicing law without a license, you could end up facing incarceration.

When you end up facing incarceration, you end up broke and wearing lipstick. While you're still inside.

When you're broke and wearing lipstick you end up working the corner of 53rd and 3rd*.

Don't end up working the corner of 53rd and 3rd.

___

*look it up ;)

No, you cannot represent your relative or friend. Period. Okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back