Repo threats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortex153

I don't know if this is the correct section for this, but here's my question: My father has a car that he's behind on the payments for, the car has had engine problems and is currently in the shop. He's already spent over $3,000 on repairs and has fallen behind because of this.

They have been by his place a few times looking for the car to reposes it but it wasn't there because it was in the shop. They came to my house yesterday and told me if I didn't tell them where it was or if he didn't, then he would be arrested for theft. The first question is: Can they legally have the police arrest him for this? and the 2nd question is: If it is illegal, is there any legal response he can make, or I can make on his behalf (since they said it to me)?

He has every intention of paying for the car, just the repairs have hit him hard due to him being retired and on a fixed income.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying to do whatever I can for him because I get sick of watching people walk all over him because he's 65. Thanks!

The threat probably was not legal. I do not see how it can be theft because the car is in his name.

The person is bluffing. He can't take the car if you tell him not to. Now if you leave it setting out where he can get at it, then it is fair game. However, as long as you are with the car he has no right to it without a Replevin order by the courts. So no matter how hard he tries to bluff you stand your ground. You could also call the police and have him removed for Breech of peace.

Repo man\
I'm not a attorney, but I do know a little about taking your car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back