Repercussions of deportation?

VamosaViajar

Jurisdiction
South America
Hello,

I'm a US citizen who recently found out I was issued a "deportation" from Colombia (after I returned freely to the US without issue) for overstaying my visa by 3 months. They told me I'm banned from Colombia for 2 years.

My question: Is there some kind of centralized database this will show up in background checks if I'm applying for jobs in other countries? I previously assumed the answer was no, but some Googling has me worried.

Is there some kind of centralized database this will show up in background checks if I'm applying for jobs in other countries?

Most punitive actions taken against a person these days are a couple taps away if a person or entity knows where to look.

I suggest you endeavor to obey all laws, rather than worry about who might learn of your miscreant activities.

Most punitive actions taken against a person these days are a couple taps away if a person or entity knows where to look.

I suggest you endeavor to obey all laws, rather than worry about who might learn of your miscreant activities.

I of course plan to obey all laws, I don't have any kind of criminal record beyond overstaying my visa. But my question still remains as to whether this is something that an employment background check for other countries could reveal.

I of course plan to obey all laws

Planning to obey laws, isn't the same as ACTUALLY obeying all laws.

I doubt that most employees wold acre that you are prohibited from entering the sovereign nation of Colombia, unless your duties as an employee required you to do business in Colombia.

I can't say whether any specific employer would have access to your deportation records from Colombia, unless the potential employer was a government or law enforcement agency.

All you can do is be forthcoming on any employment application, or during any hiring interview.

Back