Rental Increase voids lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryk

My daughter, who is a 20-year old college student in Virginia, has a short term rental of a bedroom in a private home, with permission to use the rest of the house. She is receiving a rental discount in return for taking care of the landlord's pets.

However, my daughter has become ill and can no longer take care of the animals. She wants to move, but the landlord is making her remain responsible for the room until the end of the lease, in mid-August. Since the animal care will no longer be a factor, the landlord says my daughter must pay more rent. If the original lease did not include a provision for a rent increase, is the landlord in effect breaking the lease, and as a result,, my daughter could move without being responsible for the remainder of the term?

Also, she did not receive a copy of the lease, nor was it notarized or witnessed in her presence. Is this a legal requirement for a lease to be binding in the state of Virginia (or anywhere)? My daughter is not trying to be a deadbeat, but genuinely does not like the attitude of the landlord (for reasons other than the animals) and wants to just pay off the lease and move. But I don't want her to pay if she doesn't have to.

Any advice appreciated. And since I'm out of state (Pennsylvania) what agency could we contact to get legal advice on this matter in Virginia.

VA Code 55-248.7 (see my previous posting link, it has a link to VA's Landlord Tenant Act) requires a copy of the lease be given to the tenant, within 1 month of the effective date. Failure to do so does not make it invalid. But you can point this provision out, and have a court enforce it if necessary.

Also, once you get the lease, check it for early termination provisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back