Rental complex advertises per month rate

Karen Lisle

Jurisdiction
Florida
This is a case of overcharging and threatening. The apartment complex rents whole 3 or 4 bedroom units, but mostly they rent by the bedroom, which means there are 3 or 4 leases by different individuals for one unit and the common area of the unit is shared. This complex is across from a college and this type of rentals are common around colleges and universities.

For example: complex charges $350 per month for one bedroom. They expect first and last month payment upfront, which is typical. However, last month rent payment is $350 but the last "month", which is in August, is only 10 days long because they expect all tenants to move out by the 10th. If you chose to renew your lease, you must pay first and last month again. This means in August you pay $350 for August 1-10th and $350 11-31st. I have asked if they prorate, why not, they just said they don't and if you don't like it, move. The problem is finding housing is difficult at this amount, close to the school and they know it. When I started asking questions they just said how dare I and asked me to leave.

The problem is they advertise as per month and charge as per month; they do not charge per year and then offer monthly payments to pay the yearly rental.

Who do I contact for this type of situation?

If you don't like their pricing and arrangements, don't give them your business. Frankly, I wouldn't want to live in the arrangement you describe.

I'd simply bring the matter to the attention of the Dean of Student Life, or the student housing office.

If this isn't housing owned and operated by the school, do not contact the university. Please. I beg of you. If you do not like the pricing policy, do not move there.

Back