Rental and Families

EventHorizonVII

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
TL:DR - we rent a house from my mother in law

When I met my now wife she was living in a house her mother purchased and she paid her a monthly amount. Eventually I moved in, the amount increased and now she wants us to buy the house. She has not reported she was renting to family on her taxes and she's worried about an audit.

From my understanding of NC rental law we are an at will tenant with a verbal agreement. Collectively we have lived here 5 years and paid her $1200-1400 dollars a month. This include electric utility hence the range.

The HVAC system went up 18 months ago and her and I mutually took a low interest rate loan from the utility company to have a new system put in. I have done all the repairs to this home including refinishing the hardwood floors, laying floors to replace carpet that was in place for 20+ years etc. Part of this was done on the belief that the house was my wife's inheritance. Edited to clarify, I also paid for all of these repairs.

Now that she is worried about an audit she wants us to buy the house instead. Math is $187k - $60k which she has decided is my wife's inheritance amount. Great deal but I asked for her to pay off the HVAC as part of that agreement. It's one less bill, a small thing to ask. Now she finds it preposterous that I asked that.

I don't think it is worth the legal and emotional ramifications of pursuing something like that which is less than $4k at thus point.

I'm asking for my own edification but as a tenant at will is it not her responsibility to cover major repairs? I acted upon and took the loan in good faith based on her statement that the house was going to be her my wife's inheritance and I obviously didn't want my family to freeze during the winter.

I'm asking for my own edification but as a tenant at will is it not her responsibility to cover major repairs?

Sure.

Unless the tenant agrees to it. Agreements between landlords and tenants that the tenants contribute to the cost of repairs are legal.

You agreed to it. You are stuck with that agreement.

I acted upon and took the loan in good faith based on her statement that the house was going to be her my wife's inheritance

Which is why you should never do business with relatives. They will screw you worse than strangers.

Right now I suggest you treat this home purchase as a new deal. If the MIL wants to give you $60,000 worth of equity and you get a loan for the rest, then take the deal or go buy your own house, and let the MIL take care of her own problems.

Back