Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibanez

A friend of mine had an apartment for a month or more, and he was aking a friend of his to move in with him. The friend never moved in, so as a last attempt he asked me. I was unemployed, but he said he did'nt care, we'd work something out. I moved some things in the middle of may, and by end of may was fully situated in the apartment. Then I needed to look for a job. The friend told me to pay what I can manage, and saive a little for myself. I worked for a few weeks then got sick, and they laid me off because they did'nt need the extra man. By this time, the friend had left for a business trip for a few months, so he told me that my friend "Doug" could move in if he paid his share, and he would e back to move into a bigger place. His computer becomes broken, so I take it to out neighbours and he begins work on it. July comes around, july 10th about, and I'm told that I won't be living there next month, so I left the next day, but kept coming back until the 29th to get things until it was all gone. The freinds parents pick up his things includign computer.I left my room in perfect shape, and before I left on the 11th I cleaned my share of dishes/extra. Since the 10th the place grew messy because "Doug" couldnt handle in on his own. The freind now wants me to pay close to 1000$ to him. I never wrote my name on anything, my name appeared on no bills, or cheques, or anything. Orally/verbally, I said I agree to pay what I can when I get paycheques. The onyl money I made was 185 $ Which I am giving 180$ of towards the half rent I agreed to pay towards. I even signed saying I would make the payment. I had poor luck finding employment still, and remain without a job. Now he thinks that he is going to take me to court and try to get 1000$, plus damage to the apartment I did'nt make. Plus he says that the computer was stolen. I know for a fact he can't say it was stolen, since I brought it to be fixed, teh computer was still in his name, and there was no resistance when it was picked up. And I told them where to get it. Anyone I ask says that I owe nothing, and should calm down, and focus on getting myself a job, and back on track. Anyone know for sure what I can do ?

If he decides to sue you this would seem to be difficult as to the amount since it doesn't seem etched in stone what was agreed upon. It seems that you may have agreed to pay something and a judge may affix the amount to what it seems that reasonably agreed amount may be. From what you tell me, it seems that you agreed to pay something. I'm not sure I understand how Doug and the computer are involved in all of this. I'm also not sure how the friend ends up wanting $1,000 dollars from you. IT seems that something transpired that resulted in this demand.

ibanez said:
A friend of mine had an apartment for a month or more, and he was aking a friend of his to move in with him. The friend never moved in, so as a last attempt he asked me. I was unemployed, but he said he did'nt care, we'd work something out. I moved some things in the middle of may, and by end of may was fully situated in the apartment. Then I needed to look for a job. The friend told me to pay what I can manage, and saive a little for myself. I worked for a few weeks then got sick, and they laid me off because they did'nt need the extra man. By this time, the friend had left for a business trip for a few months, so he told me that my friend "Doug" could move in if he paid his share, and he would e back to move into a bigger place. His computer becomes broken, so I take it to out neighbours and he begins work on it. July comes around, july 10th about, and I'm told that I won't be living there next month, so I left the next day, but kept coming back until the 29th to get things until it was all gone. The freinds parents pick up his things includign computer.I left my room in perfect shape, and before I left on the 11th I cleaned my share of dishes/extra. Since the 10th the place grew messy because "Doug" couldnt handle in on his own. The freind now wants me to pay close to 1000$ to him. I never wrote my name on anything, my name appeared on no bills, or cheques, or anything. Orally/verbally, I said I agree to pay what I can when I get paycheques. The onyl money I made was 185 $ Which I am giving 180$ of towards the half rent I agreed to pay towards. I even signed saying I would make the payment. I had poor luck finding employment still, and remain without a job. Now he thinks that he is going to take me to court and try to get 1000$, plus damage to the apartment I did'nt make. Plus he says that the computer was stolen. I know for a fact he can't say it was stolen, since I brought it to be fixed, teh computer was still in his name, and there was no resistance when it was picked up. And I told them where to get it. Anyone I ask says that I owe nothing, and should calm down, and focus on getting myself a job, and back on track. Anyone know for sure what I can do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back