Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

pskim2

The 1st of every month, my landlord collects the rent checks and usually deposits them a week after. However, in July, my landlord collected the rent, but did not deposit it until the 1st wk of August. Not anticipating the lateness of the withdrawl, my back account overdrew and I've been assessed $451 in fees.

Can my landlord be held responsible for my overdrawn fees for being late and depositing my rent a month after? And if so, what actions can I take to get my landlord to cover my overdrawn fees of $451.

Thank you!

No and none.

While a lease typically states when rent is due, there is nothing that states when the landlord must cash these checks.

Gail

If you balance your checkbook at all this would never happen. You have nothing here you can take action on. In fact your Landlord could if he chose to as if check bounced you are in breach for nonpayment of rent

The 1st of every month, my landlord collects the rent checks and usually deposits them a week after. However, in July, my landlord collected the rent, but did not deposit it until the 1st wk of August. Not anticipating the lateness of the withdrawl, my back account overdrew and I've been assessed $451 in fees.

Can my landlord be held responsible for my overdrawn fees for being late and depositing my rent a month after? And if so, what actions can I take to get my landlord to cover my overdrawn fees of $451.

Thank you!

My landlord regularly takes 2 weeks or more to cash the rent checks.

It drives me up the wall.

However, I did some digging, and my bank offers the option to 'block off' the funds for pending checks, so they don't show up in my available balance.

I still haven't decided to take that plunge, because, well, it offers me a smidgen of flexibility in when I have to hit the bank to transfer some cash over, but I totally understand where you're coming from.

You might try tracking your finances. GNU Cash is a free accounting app, works for very basic and very complex finances, and now has a Windows version available. http://www.gnucash.org/ ... give it a shot. It could, I dunno, save you $450 in fees at least. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back