Rent, Utilities Rent Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindFlores

My aparent complex aproved me for another year of contract in a dowstairs apt now they are saying i cant rent there and that if i leave they will take it as if i broke the contract.2 months ago i turned in my form wich stated i was leaving but they practically begged me to stay and now this ??can they kick me out ??what are my options i do want to stay mainly for my little girl school is right behind our apt

My aparent complex aproved me for another year of contract in a dowstairs apt now they are saying i cant rent there and that if i leave they will take it as if i broke the contract.2 months ago i turned in my form wich stated i was leaving but they practically begged me to stay and now this ??can they kick me out ??what are my options i do want to stay mainly for my little girl school is right behind our apt

I was a little confused by your wording, but I think I have it now.
You are currently in an apartment and the lease ends soon.
You arranged to move into a different apartment that they no longer want to lease to you for whatever reason.
Having changed their mind about the downstairs apartment they now want to keep you bound by the extended lease in the old apartment?
You gave your notice that you intended to move out but later changed your mind and although you would like to move downstairs you now wish to stay where you are?

Even though you gave your notice that you would be moving out, you are not obligated to. You can change your mind at any time. If they want to force you out they will need to give you proper notice.
You won't be able to make them give you the other apartment. It sounds like the agreement you had was not anything binding. Since they retracted the offer of the downstairs apartment you should be able to move without consequence if you want to... or stay put right where you are.

The paper we signed was a tranfer from upstairs to downstairs not a contract yet what i understand is that yea my wife had a broken lease at another apt complex they knew and they still gave us the apt now they are using that excuse not to give us the apt and they want us to stay 2 more months and charge us an extra 100 per month wich would be our 60 day notice

It sounds like you did not have a new lease for the downstairs apartment.
If you had time remaining on your original lease for the current apartment then you need to honor that agreement. You said you already gave your notice to vacate but you may cancel that if you wish. They may also give you notice if they do not want to renew the existing lease. You will become month to month if you don't sign into a new lease.
Why do they want an extra $100?
All you are obligated to pay is the amount agreed in the lease.

They dont want to give me a new lease because my wife had a broken lease from a diferent apt complex i already lived in this apts for a year. can they deny me a new contract even do we signed a transfer form from a upstairs to a downstairs. They want and extra 100 each month because they want me to stay two more months because they want me to give a new 60 day notice.

Just found out yes the will take my old 60 day notice but that will give untill thursday to look for a new apartment ,not enough time or i can stay until june but pay an extra 100 a month its not my fault they decidet not to renew my lease .help what are my options

If you attempt to stay past your notice they can begin eviction process. If that happens finding new rental could prove very difficult

You do not have to pay additional rent unless the landlord gives you advance notice. It is usually a 60 day notice.
You have longer than Thursday to move. Your 60 day notice to vacate does not mean you have to be out on the 60th day. It is a minimum. You can take longer if necessary.
You won't be thrown out if you stay longer, and it is not grounds for eviction.
If you do not sign a new lease you will become a month to month tenant with the same terms of the previous lease.
If the landlord truly wants you out then there will have to be some grounds for eviction, or the landlord must serve you notice to vacate.... Again likely 60 days.
Bottom line- if the landlord does not serve you with a notice to vacate then you can stay right where you are a long as you like for the same rent you have been paying.

Thnx mightymoose that sounds better than the other answer i got one last question how can i make them respect the answer u gave me??

You can't make anyone do much of anything, but what you can do is Google "landlord tenant rights [your state]" and be prepared.

You gave a 60 day notice correct? The landlord is honoring that

A tenant is not obligated to leave at the end of the notice period. A tenant may always change intentions. The tenant may stay as long as he or she likes until the landlord gives written notice (60 days) to end the tenancy or obtains an eviction.
There is nothing here for the landlord to honor. If the tenant does not leave by the date indicated the landlord is left with the same options that existed prior to receiving notice. Nothing changes. The notice is only to give the landlord opportunity to prepare to find another renter and not leave the unit unoccupied. If the tenant remains then the landlord has no damages. Remaining in the unit after giving notice to vacate is not grounds for eviction.

Yes i gave a 60 day notice back in january my lease ended this month but when i turned in my sheet the told to stay thats when i.told them ok but i need a downstairs apt because of my two girls they said ok but now they say they cant rent me any apartment now they want to accept my old 60 day notice wich would give me until tommorrow to find an apartment thats not enough time to find one they said if i stay my rent is going to up

I understant when its month to month rent goes up its not my fault they changed they mind at the last minute and now i have to stay longer its not fair that i have to pay 100 more in rent when its theyre fault i need to stay more than i have to

I understant when its month to month rent goes up its not my fault they changed they mind at the last minute and now i have to stay longer its not fair that i have to pay 100 more in rent when its theyre fault i need to stay more than i have to

Here's the thing, no one cares. So, pay the extra $100, because you never had a lease. If you push this, you'll face another eviction. With your wife's rental history, you'll be hard pressed to ever find a decent rental property for a very long time. Hence, the reason your current landlord is playing hardball.

I suggest you be very polite to your current landlord, explain why you need a ground unit (for your kids), tell them you'd really like to stay, and ask them to help you stay. This isn't the time to fight. You'll lose.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

its not fair that i have to pay 100 more in rent when its theyre fault i need to stay more than i have to

The landlord has to give you 60 days written notice that your rent will increase. If that hasn't happened you are not obligated to pay anything additional.
From what you describe it seems you still have at least two months to move without eviction. Keep shopping for a new home.
Meanwhile learn more about tenant rights and the obligations your landlord has in these matters.
If you haven't received these notices in writing then you haven't received them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back