Rent dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanamom1

I am being sued for $400 for rent, $280 for utilities, and $675 just because apparently this person thinks they are entitled to some money because there is nothing listed on the summons for this amount. I have a cancelled check for $800 for August's rent. My husband moved us into this house temporarily on July 15th. My husband left my children and I on August 11th and moved out. Apparently he agreed to pay utilities in addition to the $800 for rent or at least that is what the landlord states. I moved out of this house on August 31st. The landlord is now looking for me to pay him this money and I am not the person who agreed to anything with him. In fact, I only stayed until the end of August because the rent was paid for the month. He refuses to take my husband to court because they are friends and they hunt together. How am I liable for this money and how can he sue me for an additional $675 just because he wants to? In addition, the summons was served by the landlord (who obviously is a party to the action) and I believe the summons was improperly served and therefore should not even be valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back