Rent Control Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

guapogomez

I am currently on a 2-year sublease which ends in October. The original tenant will not be returning to the apartment, and I would like to keep it for myself. The apartment is still under rent control. My question is will the apartment no longer be rent controlled once I become the primary tenant, and if not, by how much can the owner raise the rent?

Originally posted by guapogomez:
I am currently on a 2-year sublease which ends in October. The original tenant will not be returning to the apartment, and I would like to keep it for myself. The apartment is still under rent control. My question is will the apartment no longer be rent controlled once I become the primary tenant, and if not, by how much can the owner raise the rent?
If you want to use the apartment for yourself, you should be fine. Are you are asking about using the apartment for yourself and then rerenting to avoid being subject to the rent laws? What state are you in? If in NY, I'm assuming you know the difference between rent control and rent stabilized apartments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back