Permanent Residency Renewing Green card with possible Bench Warrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

GheriRigg

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Can anyone advise me on my predicament? I've been in the States approx 30 years (this will be my 3rd interview after getting my green card originally), everything was fine previously but this time around life punched me in the face a million times and I didn't handle it too well! My ex-husband died approx 2012 (he sponsored me and we stayed together for 8 years), although we were split up I was still devastated when he died and got a DUI. I took the class and got my license back but couldn't pay all of the fine. I went into a bad depression, lost my job, got evicted, ended up living in my car and got a couple more misdemeanors (i.e. driving with no insurance, then no tags etc). I couldn't get work that would pay enough for an apartment and the fines and got so overwhelmed I left the State. Nothing happened for 3 years then I saw that a bench warrant was issued in 2015. I finally got out of the depression about the time my green card was expiring (2016) but had no money to pay off the fines and renew the card.
Recently I got a job that paid for my green card renewal and they sent me an appointment date so fast that I'd already missed it! So I sent off a request to reschedule the appointment. I can pay off the fine but now I don't know if this bench warrant is still an issue and the probation office isn't giving me information about it. My immigration appointment will be in CT, the warrant's in GA. Does anyone have any feedback about this situation?

Can anyone advise me on my predicament? I've been in the States approx 30 years (this will be my 3rd interview after getting my green card originally), everything was fine previously but this time around life punched me in the face a million times and I didn't handle it too well! My ex-husband died approx 2012 (he sponsored me and we stayed together for 8 years), although we were split up I was still devastated when he died and got a DUI. I took the class and got my license back but couldn't pay all of the fine. I went into a bad depression, lost my job, got evicted, ended up living in my car and got a couple more misdemeanors (i.e. driving with no insurance, then no tags etc). I couldn't get work that would pay enough for an apartment and the fines and got so overwhelmed I left the State. Nothing happened for 3 years then I saw that a bench warrant was issued in 2015. I finally got out of the depression about the time my green card was expiring (2016) but had no money to pay off the fines and renew the card.
Recently I got a job that paid for my green card renewal and they sent me an appointment date so fast that I'd already missed it! So I sent off a request to reschedule the appointment. I can pay off the fine but now I don't know if this bench warrant is still an issue and the probation office isn't giving me information about it. My immigration appointment will be in CT, the warrant's in GA. Does anyone have any feedback about this situation?
You need to consult with a criminal attorney(GA) and a immigration attorney (CT).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back