Renewal of water pipes

krtn

Hi all,

Me and my wife live in Virginia as tenants in an apartment building, it's a condo and our unit is managed by a management company. We have been informed that the water pipes in the build will be changed in two phases from top to bottom. Each phase is told to last 5 business days from 8am to 5:30pm. During these working hours we are not going to have water available in one bathroom in the first phase and in the other bathroom and the kitchen in the second phase. And, there will be 8-9 people coming in and out of our apartment.

On the other hand, we are expecting a baby which has due date very close to the construction dates so we will be having workers working in our home, we won't have any water in one bathroom and any access to our bedroom during day time and there will probably be a newly born baby with some family members around.

I was wondering if there's a way I can get compensated from the landlord or the management company for this. We were not told initially about this, and the construction company has been changing the start date of the project many times.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Not really.... You can ask the landlord if they are willing to give you something.. but legally there really isn't much you can do. You need to read your lease to see if there is anything about this issue.

I was wondering if there's a way I can get compensated from the landlord or the management company for this. We were not told initially about this, and the construction company has been changing the start date of the project many times.

Who would compensate you if you owned a home and had to go through all this to repipe your home?

Answer: Nobody.

What would you do if you owned a home and couldn't use a bathroom and bedroom during one phase of construction and the other bathroom and kitchen in the other phase of construction?

Answer: You'd manage - even with a new baby.

Your ancestors lived with worse conditions than that.

Now stop whining and figure out how to handle it. If this is the worst thing that happens to you in your life, you're ahead of the game.

Don't count on it.
You have advance notice, so you might just want to make other arrangements for those few days. That really is the whole purpose of giving you notice.

Compensated how, for what? It's going to be inconvenient for sure, but what price would you put on that?

Back