Roomate Removing Roommate

A

Artsygal

Jurisdiction
California
Hi

I'm in a situation where out of a leap of good faith and as a friend I paid the difference in rent for my roommate. I'm in a 3k monthly lease and she only pays 1/5 of the rent.

I have been putting myself in extreme financial hardship and I can't do this for her. Recently she mentioned she hates me and the environment around my home has turned horrible.

I told her she needs to pay half the rent and she has refused. She is not my friend, she is not my family member I don't have a written agreeement with her stating I agreed as an obligation to cover her living situation.

We are both on the lease .... can I sue her to pay fair market price for the rental?

You can certainly try suing her for her share of the rent that you paid for her.

[QUOTE="Artsygal, post: 250263"I'm in a 3k monthly lease and she only pays 1/5 of the rent....
We are both on the lease .... can I sue her to pay fair market price for the rental?[/QUOTE]
If you have an agreement with her where she pays only $600 per month then that is the amount she owes you for rent. Legally the landlord can probably sue both of you for the full amount if you are both cosigners of a lease for $3,000 monthly without any further breakdown as to obligations. There is no 50-50 breakdown. You both owe $3,000 and the agreement between the two of you is that she is only responsible for $600.

I was taking it that they are both on the lease & each owe half the rent but roommate was not paying her share - only paying 1/5. (so OP paid balance) If there was an agreement that she only pay $600.00, then I agree that is all she owes. OP said there is no written agreement that she would cover OP's living expenses.

Back