Relinguishment Of Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokehaven

In Oct 2006, my vehicle was in an accident, in Las Vegas, NV. I am unsure who was driving the vehicle. My husband was staying down there for a job and had serval people staying with him. He said he wasn't driving, but I am not sure what happened at all. The driver fled the scene and the truck was towed. My husband had also been very sick and I do not believe that he was even able to drive the truck.
And today I received a notice from Quality Towing and I was told that it would cost me $700.00 or more before I was able to get it out of impound. I couldn't come up with the money. I received another notice from the towing company they told me that my truck was going to auction in Nov 2006. So there was nothing else I could do but forfeit my vehicle. I sent a certified letter along with the Title to the truck to the towing company and also to Arizona DMV. Saying I forfeit my rights to the vehicle.
Today I received a collection letter stating I owe $2004.79 for towing and storage expenses that was not covered at sale of truck.

What can I do? I don't have the truck and they have sold it and I also relinguished it to the Towing Yard.
Thank you
Leighanne

It is hard to believe that they racked up 2000+ in storage fees in two months. I would start by send them a certified letter requesting a statement of costs and copy of sales receipt from the auction. Was the letter from the towing company or a CA? If it was from a CA send them a dispute letter.

I would also look at the Nevada and City laws regarding towing a vehicle, storage fees, and disposition of the vehicle. Some States have put out specific rules that must be followed because of the recent predatory towing problem many States have dealt with. For instance, Virginia has new legislation passed last year that covers towing by private and government entities, as do many cities/counties in Virginia. If the towing company did not follow the rules or limits, the legislation probably has a penalty for them of some sort. This is at least worth checking into, might give you some more legal basis.

relinguished vehicle-collection notice

Well, yesterday I received a letter back from the collection agency, after my request for validation. But what I received wasn't exactly what I had requested. It was a document of Lien Sale Affidavit on Nevada Dept Of Motor Vehicle letterhead. I am not sure if it is real or not. Now they are telling me that I owe $5134.64 less sold price as of Feb 17, 2007 $915.88. When they sent me the paper work in October 2006 it stated that the auction would be held in November 06, now they say it was sold in February 07. I just don't know what to do about this collection agency, I have heard several bad things about this company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back