Corporate Law Registering as a foreign corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK1952

I have a client who incorporated in Nevada and filed in NC as a foreign corporation since that is where he lives. Additionally he has an answering service/mail drop in NY. My question is: does the answering service/maildrop constitute a physical presence in NY which requires registering as a foreign corporation? Thanks so much for any information.

An answering service/maildrop will probably not constitute a physical presence doing business. Not quite sure. Is your company "doing business" in the state? What is the extent of the answering service/maildrop - is it answering calls or mail for the company or is this a service being provided. If it's the latter, I'd definitely say you are doing business. If there is another company collecting mail, not so sure. Here is a legal memorandum on the topic that I don't have time to read through, even though I know the traditional test of having "minimum contacts with the state" in order to find jurisdiction over the company/person within the state.

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/cnsl/do_bus.html

Certain organizations formed outside New York may not do business in New York until authorized to do so. Called "foreign," whether formed in another state of the United States or in another country, such organizations include for-profit and not-for-profit corporations, limited liability companies, and limited partnerships. See generally, Business Corporation Law §§ 1301 - 1320 (for-profit corporations), Limited Liability Company Law §§ 801 - 809 (limited liability companies), Not-for-Profit Corporation Law §§ 1301 - 1321 (not-for-profit corporations), and Partnership Law § 121-901 - 121-908 (limited partnerships). (For simplicity and for reasons of history, much of this discussion will refer to corporations. In context, such a reference should be taken as including other forms.) The requirement to obtain authority to do business exists to protect domestic organizations from unfair competition and to place domestic and foreign organizations on an equal footing. "Fairness and justice require that when a foreign corporation comes into our State to conduct business under similar methods and to the same degree it does in its own state, or as do our domestic corporations, that such a corporation should be subject to New York laws and regulations as a recompense for the advantages enjoyed by it." William L. Bonnell Co. v. Katz, 23 Misc.2d 1028, 1031, 196 N.Y.S.2d 763, 768 (Sup. Ct. 1960).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back