Consumer Law, Warranties Refrigerator warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

gitel

I recently purchased a brand new condo that came with new GE appliances. The side-by-side refrigerator-freezer now has a crack in the interior side wall of the freezer, running from the front to the back. The GE Tech says I need a new refrigerator. The tech says it's only a matter of time before it effects the functioning of the unit. It is not something that can be repaired. GE says it's cosmetic, so they won't replace it. I've written a letter and gotten no where. They say they've offered to extend the warranty for 3 months. I never was informed of that.

What recourse do I have to get a new refrigerator? Don't they have to honor the warranty beyond the normal time now that a problem has been identified?

Originally posted by gitel:
I recently purchased a brand new condo that came with new GE appliances. The side-by-side refrigerator-freezer now has a crack in the interior side wall of the freezer, running from the front to the back. The GE Tech says I need a new refrigerator. The tech says it's only a matter of time before it effects the functioning of the unit. It is not something that can be repaired. GE says it's cosmetic, so they won't replace it. I've written a letter and gotten no where. They say they've offered to extend the warranty for 3 months. I never was informed of that.

What recourse do I have to get a new refrigerator? Don't they have to honor the warranty beyond the normal time now that a problem has been identified?
You can always purchase a new refrigerator and sue GE in small claims court. I would get a copy of the GE Technitian's reprot. What I'm not understanding is why GE is not respecting the report of its own technitian who concludes that the problem is not just cosmetic -- am I missing something?

I think some thing interesting about this thread... you can buy a new refrigerator any time... you have many choices to purchase... their are many brand that are good for new house... 4396841

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back