Reduced Criminal Charge...what does this forfeit me legally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy111

I was arrested for a criminal damage to property and this charge was reduced to a non-criminal ordinance violation. When searching the Wisconsin Court System database:

"The defendant was found guilty of the following charge(s) in this case.
Damage to Property. This is not a criminal offense and results only in a money penalty for this offense.
Charge(s) in this case were read in to this or other case(s). A "read in" charge is a charge that is dismissed as part of a plea agreement, however:

The defendant agrees to be held responsible for and have the court consider the charge(s) when sentencing for another crime, under Wis. Stats. 973.20(1g)(b); and
The defendant cannot be prosecuted for these charge(s) in the future."

I do not fully understand the ramifications of the charge and that of the final verdict (an ordinance violation). Do I have a criminal record and if so do I need to list this on job applications considering I was found guilty of a non-criminal ordinance violation?

I am also wondering if this charge will show up on background checks and when/if ever this charge will "disappear"?

Thank you for your help.

I was arrested for a criminal damage to property and this charge was reduced to a non-criminal ordinance violation. When searching the Wisconsin Court System database:

"The defendant was found guilty of the following charge(s) in this case.
Damage to Property. This is not a criminal offense and results only in a money penalty for this offense.
Charge(s) in this case were read in to this or other case(s). A "read in" charge is a charge that is dismissed as part of a plea agreement, however:

The defendant agrees to be held responsible for and have the court consider the charge(s) when sentencing for another crime, under Wis. Stats. 973.20(1g)(b); and
The defendant cannot be prosecuted for these charge(s) in the future."

I do not fully understand the ramifications of the charge and that of the final verdict (an ordinance violation). Do I have a criminal record and if so do I need to list this on job applications considering I was found guilty of a non-criminal ordinance violation?

I am also wondering if this charge will show up on background checks and when/if ever this charge will "disappear"?

Thank you for your help.

You don't have a criminal conviction.

The original charged will be used against you, if at a later time, you get involved in any criminal proceedings.

The original charge will be used to determine your sentencing, if you ever appear before a Wisconsin court in the future.

Bottom line, stay out of trouble, and this means nothing.

No, you don't have to reveal it as a conviction on a job application.

Get in another criminal situation and it will mean you could get the book thrown at you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back