Recovery Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

babybull

I just had surgery and was in the recovery room. I wasn't even fully awake and I had someone come and tell me I had to sign something. After I went home later and woke up the next day, I told my wife that I remember signing something in the recovery room but don't remember what it was. We called and spoke to the head of nursing and explain our question about "what did I sign" but never got an answer from the hospital. 2 weeks later I went to my doctor to get my stitches out and told him about what happened. He said they would find out but they also never got a call back from the hospital. After 3 weeks I called again and FINALLY got a hold of someone and they said they were going to call me back. I told them quite frankly that this is what I have been told before and they assured me that someone would by night. They did but preceeded to tell me there was nothing in my file that they saw and tried to pass it off as "you know, you had a lot of medication that day...." I then informed them that I remember that someone got stuck or something and they drew blood from me after I signed. The lady said that I shedded some light on the subject and then said she would look into it a little more. She called me back the next day and told me that I signed a waver to have them draw blood to check if I was HIV+ or hepatitis+ and to release my info to the person who was stuck with a needle in surgry. I am not either but it is very upsetting that I could have signed my life away and wouldn't have cared. I am also upset at the fact that why couldn't this have waited until 72 hours later (according to there form in pre-op) when I had a little more sense about me...its not like it would have made any difference to the person who got stuck. Why do they have me sign a paper prior to my surgery that says, "do not sign any legal documents for 72 hours after surgery but they are the first ones to ask me to sign something not even 2 hours later! My biggest problem is why they didn't look at my chart and realize that they could speak to my wife who was out in the waiting room WHO IS on my insurance and everything else about being able to speak to her about my medical information?

So, the question is......was it legal for them to ask me to sign something in the recovery room?

Your signature at that time would most likely have carried no weight. I can't imagine a judge saying that you knew what you were signing.

Thank you for the reply. Is this illegal in Indiana? I am very upset about them doing this and I do NOT want this to happen to someone else.

Illegal, probably not, as in not a crime. Not something that would protect them if they got sued, absolutely.

Not sure what you mean by "not something that would protect them...." I guess my question would be do I have a case against them?

Any release they had you sign wouldn't protect them because you didn't have capacity to sign it.

Do you have a case? Yes, if you want to spend a great deal of money to get a declaratory Judgment against them that says they did something wrong. But you have no damages so you won't get any money out of it. Does that make sense?

Yep....thanks. I don't know how to do it but I wish I could make sure it doesn't happen to someone else this way. That is terrible that a hospital would do that. It sure seems that they would handle something like this pre-op and take blood then. It sure seems something like this would be illegal....damages or not they should be fined at least. Thank you VERY much!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back