Recovery of Rent due to Covid

Grant

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I have a tenant (stearns County, MN) who I believe is taking advantage of the rent moratorium granted by the Governor. I held their hand and had them apply for the covied relief rent but they submitted at the last minute and is first come first served.

About:
I was in the process of evicting them last Jan-Feb, and then covid happened.

The house is trying to pass the cities rental inspection but anytime repairs are made
things are broken by the time the inspector comes to inspect; so I can never pass...

I believe the majority of the people are working, but not paying rent.

Woman not on the lease seems to be staying in the basement, and appears to be on drugs.

My questions are, does anyone see a way to evict these people with the current cdc moratorium(the inspector says she knows people have been evicted during it)?

And if I dont receive funds from the city, what is the best way to recover funds? Any tactics before they leave? Find Banking establishments/ Job locations.... anything else?

Ive called several attorneys in the area with no returned phone calls; I dont think anyone knows what is really going on with evictions...If your from the area please PM me or give a referral.

Thanks

I have a tenant (stearns County, MN) who I believe is taking advantage of the rent moratorium granted by the Governor. I held their hand and had them apply for the covied relief rent but they submitted at the last minute and is first come first served.

About:
I was in the process of evicting them last Jan-Feb, and then covid happened.

The house is trying to pass the cities rental inspection but anytime repairs are made
things are broken by the time the inspector comes to inspect; so I can never pass...

I believe the majority of the people are working, but not paying rent.

Woman not on the lease seems to be staying in the basement, and appears to be on drugs.

My questions are, does anyone see a way to evict these people with the current cdc moratorium(the inspector says she knows people have been evicted during it)?

And if I dont receive funds from the city, what is the best way to recover funds? Any tactics before they leave? Find Banking establishments/ Job locations.... anything else?

Ive called several attorneys in the area with no returned phone calls; I dont think anyone knows what is really going on with evictions...If your from the area please PM me or give a referral.

Thanks
Call you local Attorney Bar Assoc and get several referrals, then call and make an appointment to ask your questions. It is unlikely attorneys will call you back to give legal advice over the phone for free.

Call you local Attorney Bar Assoc and get several referrals, then call and make an appointment to ask your questions. It is unlikely attorneys will call you back to give legal advice over the phone for free.
Thanks for the info. I was never looking for free advice over the phone. I called several leaving messages with their secretary stating I want to evict a tenant.

My own experience with deadbeat tenants who damage the property is that once you manage to get them out you'll never see a nickel of the lost rent and repair costs.

You might be able to evict because of the damage even if you can't evict for the rent.

Keep calling lawyers. Eventually you'll catch one who will talk to you or set up an appointment.

Meantime, you might consider Cash for Keys.

My own experience with deadbeat tenants who damage the property is that once you manage to get them out you'll never see a nickel of the lost rent and repair costs.

You might be able to evict because of the damage even if you can't evict for the rent.

Keep calling lawyers. Eventually you'll catch one who will talk to you or set up an appointment.

Meantime, you might consider Cash for Keys.

Thanks for the response. I agree under normal circustances you generally never see a nickel... However, the state will not allow evictions and under their moratorium guidlines it states that tenants are not forgiven for unpaid rent. What is cash for keys?

Thanks for the response. I agree under normal circustances you generally never see a nickel... However, the state will not allow evictions and under their moratorium guidlines it states that tenants are not forgiven for unpaid rent. What is cash for keys?
Cash for Keys is when you offer the tenant X amount of cash if they leave the property by xyz date. You hand over the cash when they are packed, moved and hand over the keys to the property.

How ironic - a LL with in illegal unit is complaining that their tenant isn't paying rent...

Back