Reckless Driving in parking lot on snowy night, what do should I tell the judge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyr

My jurisdiction is: Whatcom County, Washington

I was cited just about an hour ago for reckless driving in a snow covered parking lot a little before 11PM. I am a high school senior with no prior infractions or record of any sort, I am editor of my school yearbook (managing nearly 30 staff journalists), as well as a 4 year varsity athlete, 3 year state finalist in swimming, and captain of my swim team, honor role, Advanced Placement classes etc.

By just about any standard I think it is safe to say I'm a fairly responsible kid, so now looking at the prospect of having a criminal traffic infraction on my record is concerning to say the least.

In additional background, the officer writing the citation didn't actually witness the crime, but is basing the ticket nearly entirely off a witness testimony, which as near as I can tell is considerably exaggerated.

I don't plan to deny the charges brought against me, because I am at least guilty to a certain degree, however I wanted to get some outside opinions on just how much I should challenge the witness' report, and more importantly what I should bring out to the judge on my court date (which is the 29th of this month) to hopefully make the case that I shouldn't be unduly penalized for a singular lapse in judgment when otherwise I am quite clearly a stable youth.

This is my first serious run-in with the law, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back