Justice System, Police, Courts Recent Change in Arrest Activity

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Texas
Each morning I receive a roster from three local counties near me.

The roster is provided by the county jails.

I also receive a similar arrest roster from the four larger cities in my area.

I've begun to see an alarming trend.

As I review the rosters lately, I see more older people being arrested.

This trend seems to have started near the end of spring.

I am seeing more 50, 60, even 70 year old people being arrested.

The arrests aren't just for public intoxication or disorderly conduct.

I've seen "blue warrants" issued by our state prison system when a parolee has been revoked.

I've also seen an increase of older people being charged with felonies, not just misdemeanors or traffic offenses.

This odd trend also seems to occurring among our nearby active duty personnel, as they are housed in our county jails temporarily.

Have any of our LEOs (who post here) observing this trend?

How about our lawyers, have you noticed this in your area?

Or, is this phenomenon localized to the Hill Country of Central Texas?

I'll be leading a discussion about this issue next month during our county bar meeting.

Our local counties have established courts for veterans charged with some crimes.

It is being debated as to whether our counties will create a shared court for select seniors.

Thanks for any input you care to add.

No such trend where I work (basically New York City and the 12 or so downstate counties in New York State).

It seems very rare for anyone in their 50's on up to be arrested for anything besides DWI and maybe some domestic violence matters.

Of course, arrests overall may be dropping since with all the new laws going into effect it seems as though we won't be keeping anyone in jails anyway.

Let's see, in my county for yesterday:

14 arrested, only one over 50: A 57 year old homeless man arrested for trespass and failure to appear on a previous trespass charge. One local PD is bent on rounding up the homeless and sending them to jail on various charges to "clean up their town."

For the day before: 16 arrested. One 51 year old arrested for "habitual larceny." Appears to be one of four people arrested as part of an organized shoplifting ring at a local outlet mall.

The day before that 9 arrested. Again a trespass citation that looks like a homeless sweep (though the guy did have a listed address) and one 51 year old for meth possession.

We're seeing lots of meth/heroin busts and it often includes older people.

As above, older arrestees tend to be heroin or meth arrests. I haven't noticed a spike though.
It would be interesting to look into the socioeconomic characteristics if you do have a clear trend.

No such trend where I work (basically New York City and the 12 or so downstate counties in New York State).

It seems very rare for anyone in their 50's on up to be arrested for anything besides DWI and maybe some domestic violence matters.

Of course, arrests overall may be dropping since with all the new laws going into effect it seems as though we won't be keeping anyone in jails anyway.

Well, NY Suffolk County's East End Drug Task Force arrested 6 in a raid on Wednesday(crack), ages 42, 45, 50, 55, 57, and 60 - in Aquebogue! Welcome to wine country and pumpkin picking.

Back