Real Estate Contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

nopuppies

Can a mortgage company threaten and/or "pull" your loan after all parties have signed the contract (hours earlier) and they state it was their error that caused the problem?
The mortgage company told me either I pay for the $8000 mistake or lose the loan, which after dealing with them for over 6 weeks I would have lost my home and the mortgage company knew my financial health, so they knew I would lose my home.
I thought contracts were bidding documents? If not why do we sign them?
Is contractual law different for corporations and the "average Joe"?
Can this mortgage company get away with this? Is there anything I can do? This is just one example of the way I was treated.

Originally posted by nopuppies:
Can a mortgage company threaten and/or "pull" your loan after all parties have signed the contract (hours earlier) and they state it was their error that caused the problem?
The mortgage company told me either I pay for the $8000 mistake or lose the loan, which after dealing with them for over 6 weeks I would have lost my home and the mortgage company knew my financial health, so they knew I would lose my home.
I thought contracts were bidding documents? If not why do we sign them?
Is contractual law different for corporations and the "average Joe"?
Can this mortgage company get away with this? Is there anything I can do? This is just one example of the way I was treated.
Contracts are binding but if the errors are obvious then the contract may be disputed -- why? Because a contract is supposed to reflect the agreement in writing. If the writing obviously does not reflect the agreement, then the writing might not be worth the paper it's on. ;) However, the writing can be modified to comport to the agreement, e.g. where an extra zero is added so that a modest low end car had a price tag of 80,000 instead of 8,000. It is called a "unilateral mistake" and can be enforced only by the party prejudiced (the buyer) for the amount it should have been, or 8,000.

Here is my question to you -- if the deal was agreed, what is the problem with correction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back