Re-producing trademarked catalog pages in public domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tore

I have some catalog pages from a hardware store that is no longer in business. The pages date from 1890. The pages advertise firearms for sale with drawings and descriptions along with the firearm manufacturers name and trademarked logos. Most of these firearm manufacturers are still in business. I also have a broadside ad dated 1880 with the same type of advertisements which was originally printed by a firearm manufacturer who is also still in business. I would like to re-produce and sell these ads to collectors and other history buffs. Since the ads are in the pubic domain and do not represent any current advertising or product being sold, can I do this without permission from the firearm companies? The original hardware company name that produced the pages does not show up in a search of the trademark office.
Thanks

Good question and don't use my answer as authority or as a substitute for a proper legal consultation. I don't believe you'll have a problem if the copyright rights have expired and there is no trademark issue. You also own the item being duplicated, which would be different if the item was owned by another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back