re-financing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

smbn

Hi,
My husband and I just re-financed our home. We signed documents last week with a Notary and were due to close on Nov. 6th. We are paying off some debt and were supposed to receive approx. 2500.00 back in cash. Yesterday we received a new settlement statement in the mail to sign and return to the Title company. They changed the Mortgage tax from 224.00 to over 1300.00! I called and e-mailed my bank and title company today to find our why they made this change. The only response I received was from the title company stating that our previous mortgage was never recorded with our county and they were giving us a rebate. But now since it was not recorded, they adjusted the amount of the tax. I first told them via e-mail that we live in a city and not a county. I didn't understand their response, it sounded like they were just blowing me off. Then today I received the checks in the mail, and they made the changes without our approval or signatures.
Is this legal? What recourse can I take since obviously they closed on the loan. Is it possible that my loan never recorded? Is there any chance I will receive the approx. 1100.00 they shorted us?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back