RE 4 Code Discharge for being overweight

oscar92m

Jurisdiction
California
Hi I was discharged from the Marine Corps Reserve for being overweight. I received a general under honorable discharge with an RE4 code. I am trying to reenlist in the military but the code is not allowing it. I have filled a dd149 to have the code changed but no response yet. What are my chances of having the code upgraded?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi I was discharged from the Marine Corps Reserve for being overweight. I received a general under honorable discharge with an RE4 code. I am trying to reenlist in the military but the code is not allowing it. I have filled a dd149 to have the code changed but no response yet. What are my chances of have the code upgraded?

Thank you

Generally upon review of "RE 4", most applicants are accepted on a waiver from the Army, or USMC.

The Navy, AF, and USCG are picky, more inclined to not accept a candidate via waiver.

However, until an exact increase in forces and MOS types, you might find pushback.
Our military was recently downsizing.
It's now reversing the trend, but that's just within the last two weeks.
Government moves slower than private enterprise.
I suggest you keep trying.

Generally upon review of "RE 4", most applicants are accepted on a waiver from the Army, or USMC.

The Navy, AF, and USCG are picky, more inclined to not accept a candidate via waiver.

However, until an exact increase in forces and MOS types, you might find pushback.
Our military was recently downsizing.
It's now reversing the trend, but that's just within the last two weeks.
Government moves slower than private enterprise.
I suggest you keep trying.

Thank you sir for taking time to respond to my question. I have contacted Army recruiters and their response is that they are not accepting any RE4. I will keep trying and hope for the best. Once again thank you very much for your response.

Respectfully,
Oscar

Thank you sir for taking time to respond to my question. I have contacted Army recruiters and their response is that they are not accepting any RE4. I will keep trying and hope for the best. Once again thank you very much for your response.

Respectfully,
Oscar

Asking for a change is also useful, but lengthy, so keep pursuing that route, too.
You can also write to your US congressperson or one of your US senators to ask for help in getting the RE4 changed.

You're most welcome, and good luck.

Asking for a change is also useful, but lengthy, so keep pursuing that route, too.
You can also write to your US congressperson or one of your US senators to ask for help in getting the RE4 changed.

You're most welcome, and good luck.
I just messaged my congressman. Hopefully I get a response.
Thanks

Back