ran a red light, plead not guilty, how should I handle this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zd12

Brief summary is I got ticketed for 21453c, I entered from the right T intersection when the light was yellow and about midway the light turns red. I was well beyond the marked line when the stop light turned red, I was looking at the light the whole time. The cop was positioned at the bottom of the T intersection, so I am curious what the officer actually looked at to determine that. WHat made me question it even more is the officer says "why were you driving so fast" when the officer approached my car and then after getting my paperwork which took about 10-15 minutes the officer came back and says "oh btw you ran that red light."

I plead not guilty which cost me 490 dollars, I am 23 years old and this is my first ticket ever. The only way I think about fighting it is the position of the cop made it difficult for the officer to see, plus why would I run the stop light if it turned red, doesn't make sense. I did speed up a little but its not much since I had to slow down to make the left turn, I was probably going at 35 or 40 mph. I have a couple of questions since I am totally ignorant about how the whole process works. I do know that you are suppose to slow down when you see a yellow, but I made a quick judgement call and by no means did I do anything illegally.

1) Do you meet with the prosecutor before the trial begins? I feel like this would be a hard case to win since I have no hard evidence like video or anything, it is pretty much he say she say. so by just showing up I can plead with the prosecutor to reduce fines and give me traffic school.

2) Once going in to the court room, I heard that if you see your officer you can change your plea to guilty. At all costs I do not want a point on my record and have my insurance go up. THis true? Plus I think the chances of the cop not showing is very small, since they are getting paid to go to court.

3) I am thinking about taking pictures of the scene and tell my story, but its just he say she say and the judge will most likely believe the cop. From your guys experience what would you guys do in my situation? Also I do not want to pay court fines and all of that so I am thinking it is a better choice to just change my plea to guilty and go traffic school.

4) also can you guys give me a brief detail of how the whole process works? Like you sit in the court room and the prosecutor shows up if you still decide to fight you go in and the officer shows up? A bit confused on the process.

Last edited:
I did speed up a little but.....

I do know that you are suppose to slow down when you see a yellow...

This is likely what got you the citation. The officer will testify that you accelerated into the intersection to beat the light.
This causes accidents. You will likely lose your argument.

But I got ticketed for 21453c, which means that you can't enter the intersection when it is red. I entered the intersection when it was yellow and it turned red midway. So if its a speed violation why not give me a speeding ticket? doesn't make sense. Plus I can't really have sped since I have to slow down to make the left turn.

Anyways, don't I see a prosecutor before the trial? I rather just make a plea bargain and plead guilty, getting traffic school. Plus the officer's comments really makes me questions what he is citing me for. Should I include that into my argument? Also, the officer was positioned at the bottom of the T intersection so he would have to look towards the left to view my stop light and look at my car when it passed. As you can imagine it seems hard to do accurately.

Can someone answer my questions that I have listed?

Last edited:
Because he watched you run the light, not clocked you while running the light. Might I suggest traffic school.

They can literally say anything and you can't fight it. I was well beyond the marked line, middle of intersection then it turned red. I need to buy a dash cam for this bs stuff. Do you meet with a prosecutor before the trial to make a plea bargain? Thats the question I want to be answered the most right now.

No prosecutor. Traffic citations in CA are filed directly with the court and are not required to be passed through a prosecutor. In some counties the DA or a city attorney MIGHT be assigned to offer deals the day of court for some traffic matters, but this practice is exceedingly rare and infrequent.

No prosecutor. Traffic citations in CA are filed directly with the court and are not required to be passed through a prosecutor. In some counties the DA or a city attorney MIGHT be assigned to offer deals the day of court for some traffic matters, but this practice is exceedingly rare and infrequent.

Can I change to guilty and ask for traffic school or just fight it and the judge will give me some leniency? At all costs I want traffic school, do not want a point on my insurance record and its my first traffic offense.

Can I change to guilty and ask for traffic school or just fight it and the judge will give me some leniency? At all costs I want traffic school, do not want a point on my insurance record and its my first traffic offense.

The only guarantee you might get for traffic school is when you attend court and plead guilty. Very often the court clerk or the judge/commissioner will tell the defendants that if they are otherwise eligible for traffic school, a guilty plea may well guarantee that result. There is no guarantee after you go to trial.

If you received a courtesy notice of your options and it includes traffic school, then you might want to consider that. Keep in mind that will also mean paying all the fines, but TS will keep the point off your record and may well save you a nice insurance increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back