Business Contracts Quit claim deed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostntranslaton

This is a long story so I will try and shorten it because I don't know what to do. I was living with a woman and after 1 year she did a quitclaim deed to add my name to the title because I was doing all the labor to fix her house up. We then moved across state lines to another house in Missouri and rented the first house out. Where over the next two and a half years I maintained the house we were renting out. There have been a total of 3 tenants. The second one destroyed the house causing several thousands of dollars in damage where I provided all the labor to fix it again in time for the third tenant. In September of 2011 our relationship fell apart and we separated and we talked and tried to see if we could work it out and finally in March of 2012 we ended it and she has kept all my belongings and refuses to return them until after I sign my half of the title back to her. I have no problem giving her her half of the title back but I wanted a guarantee that all my belongings were there and she had not sold them plus I wanted the down payment I put down on the house she currently lives in. When she refused that I finally said fine and dropped my request for half of the down payment and asked her to pick a 3rd party that we both agreed upon and I would sign and notarize the quitclaim deed give it to the 3rd party and after I got my stuff and confirmed it was all there would tell the 3rd party to give her the deed. She refused that. Now you know the back story here is my problem. She hired a lawyer to either scare me into signing over my half or paying half of 25 thousand dollars worth of repairs to the home that allegedly happened from the last tenants who's lease ended in February 2012 and I know that the house was perfect as of September and the tenants living in it were lawyers man and wife only no kids. Now this entire time between September and now she has not informed me nor has she requested any money for these "repairs" nor has she shared any money made from the rents collected. So my question is is the lawyer right in his email email to me that I have to sign over my half of the title or pay half the "repair" costs. Or can I stand my ground and file something to get my property and any monies like my down payment on the current house she resides in and then sign my half of the deed back to her?

First of all. No lawyer contacts anyone via email.
She's scamming you.
She's pretending to be a lawyer, or she's got her new playmate trying to scare you.
If a lawyer sent you a letter, it'd be by snail mail or FedEx.
But, that doesn't resolve your problem.
A quit claim deed is warranted. That means its often useless, as far as a smart buyer or lender is concerned.
Never do this again.
Dividing property between married people sent easier.
You'll have to take her to court.
That's problematic because she's in another state.
That makes it hard to serve her.
It might be time to give up the ghost on this one, take your lumps, learn your lesson.
If you wanna fight, hire a lawyer, or at east speak to one in the area. The initial consult is often free.
That'll give you a better IDEA of your costs and chances.
If it isn't a $500,000 home, r your junk isn't worth at least $100,000; you'll if find winning is really losing.
Think about just walking away. Cut your losses. She got you.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

I am sorry I forgot to mention that I did receive a letter from him. I emailed him then he emailed me back. Also we both live in Missouri the house with a quit claim deed is in Kansas about 20 minutes from Kansas City where we both live.

Last edited:
If the lawyer isn't licensed in Kansas, it doesn't matter.
The additional information changes nothing.
So, he's a lawyer, not a judge.
I'm a lawyer.
Would you do as I instructed in a letter?
Only a judge can order you to do anything.
And, that can only occur after due process has run.
If you persist, see an attorney in Kansas.
She's not budging.
That means if you won't, off to court you'll need to go.

As an aside, the home doesn't have a quit claim deed, you hold one. It's useless. I still say she bamboozled and hoodwinked you. She holds a valid deed, I assume. Your name is on that deed. That makes you equal owners. If neither of you budges, it'll take a court in Kansas to force a sale and divvy up the proceeds.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back