Student Loans Question Regarding Student Loans and Taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagejane

I will try to be as brief as possible.

I have a student loan that was in IBR repayment. Through conflicting information as to who owned the loan, it went into default. I was receiving information that the loan was in IBR and then at the same time receiving information that it was at risk of going into default. (This was a very confusing situation due to the loans being sold, and can explain more if need be.)

I went through the NSLDS and contacted the servicer/lender/guarantors to try to determine who could help. Each told me that my loan was in collections yet did not know "yet" which collection agency was servicing it.

Then, during 2013 my elderly mother's health deteriorated, and I became her caregiver. This took every last dime I had. The loan finally went to a collection agency, and I have set up a voluntary repayment plan through them. It's actually a relief to know WHO to pay.

My pay has not been garnished. I am not under any type of garnishment, as the repayment is voluntary.

My mother was admitted to a long-term care facility in January 2014, so my income is starting to recover.

My question is: If I file income taxes, will any refund be taken? At this point, I really need my tax refund because it could help me recover financially from caregiving and the decreased income associated with it. I have reviewed paperwork from the collections agency, and it does not say specifically that they will take it, but when discussing the repayment, they have told me that once I make payments for 9 months, I will be "eligible" to receive my refunds. I am so confused.

Last edited:
I will try to be as brief as possible.

I have a student loan that was in IBR repayment. Through conflicting information as to who owned the loan, it went into default. I was receiving information that the loan was in IBR and then at the same time receiving information that it was at risk of going into default. (This was a very confusing situation due to the loans being sold, and can explain more if need be.)

I went through the NSLDS and contacted the servicer/lender/guarantors to try to determine who could help. Each told me that my loan was in collections yet did not know "yet" which collection agency was servicing it.

Then, during 2013 my elderly mother's health deteriorated, and I became her caregiver. This took every last dime I had. The loan finally went to a collection agency, and I have set up a voluntary repayment plan through them. It's actually a relief to know WHO to pay.

My pay has not been garnished. I am not under any type of garnishment, as the repayment is voluntary.

My mother was admitted to a long-term care facility in January 2014, so my income is starting to recover.

My question is: If I file income taxes, will any refund be taken? At this point, I really need my tax refund because it could help me recover financially from caregiving and the decreased income associated with it. I have reviewed paperwork from the collections agency, and it does not say specifically that they will take it, but when discussing the repayment, they have told me that once I make payments for 9 months, I will be "eligible" to receive my refunds. I am so confused.

You would be stupid NOT to file a federal (or state) income tax return.

That said, if they take any income tax refund, that reduces what you owe.

Thank your lucky stars your pay hasn't been garnished, so just keep doing the best you can.

No need to worry, get stressed, just live your life.

Whatever happens, will happen, worry or not.

I have always filed taxes. I just realized the "if" looks like I am not considering filing them. I do intend to file. :)

This situation is very frustrating. I have the paperwork gathered to file a complaint with the federal student loan ombudsman with copies of papers filed, e-mail acknowledgements received, showing that I filed all paperwork on time, each time a student loan entity requested it.

I am just wondering if my tax refund will be taken or if there is a way to find out.

I have always filed taxes. I just realized the "if" looks like I am not considering filing them. I do intend to file. :)

This situation is very frustrating. I have the paperwork gathered to file a complaint with the federal student loan ombudsman with copies of papers filed, e-mail acknowledgements received, showing that I filed all paperwork on time, each time a student loan entity requested it.

I am just wondering if my tax refund will be taken or if there is a way to find out.

You can ask the student loan collection agency you're working with for more information on this mess.

Federal tax refunds can only be intercepted if the debt has been referred and entered into TOP(Treasury Offset Program).

You can check, just call 1-800-304-3107 and follow the prompts and enter your SOCIAL INSECURITY NUMBER when prompted.

The 800-304-3107 (TOP) is operated by the Debt Management Service of the US Treasury.

Eventually will be told if you have any debts that will be offset.

If you do have such a debt, it will also tell you the name, address, and often the telephone number of the agency who arranged for your refund to be intercepted.

Good luck!

If you have additional questions regarding the offset of your federal tax refund or offset of another U.S. government-issued payment. You can call our Treasury Offset Program (TOP) Call Center to obtain agency contact information during our customer service hours.

Toll Free: (800) 304-3107

The website of DMS. They explain more about the program:

http://www.fms.treas.gov/debt/top.html

Another official website:

http://www.fms.treas.gov/faq/offsets_tax.html

Last edited:
Army Judge, you are awesome. I called, and they show no debts!

I had no idea this number existed, so you've helped me and others in this position considerably. I am eternally grateful.

Army Judge, you are awesome. I called, and they show no debts!

I had no idea this number existed, so you've helped me and others in this position considerably. I am eternally grateful.

You're welcome, but as the recording says, NEW NUMBERS are added daily.

With the upcoming tax refund season, just keep checking, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back