Question regarding HOA inspections and Personal Information demands

Status
Not open for further replies.

themartinclan

Hello, thanks for helping...

I live in Placentia, California and Cardinal Property managers our our "Criterion" Home Owner's Association. Althought we are a 30 year old community, there are only 44 parking slots out of about 150 units.

Thus the HOA decided to use a company called CCARE (California Community Association Rules Enforcement) to perform an inspection of our garages. Additionally, they are going to be issuing one parking permit per residence if we choose to buy one.

I have a few questions.

1. First, do they have a right to inspect our garages? A residence in Placentia must have a two car garage, but can the HOA enforce this? There is no provision in our CC&Rs for this type of inspection.

2. Assuming they have the right, what information do they have the right to ask for when issuing a parking permit to us? Right now they are asking for our drivers license # and vehicle registration which they say must match the residence. They want this information for not only the extra slot, but for the car in our garage. I am fine with providing them with my vehicle license number and tying it to my home address, but do they have the legal right to ask for this additional personal information? I do not want them to have my drivers license number, why would they need that? All they need to do is make sure vehicles are allowed in the area. Am I covered under the Personal Information Protection Act?

3. Lastly, what options do I have if they do not have enough spaces to "sell" by the time they get to our unit? This is all community property so I am surprised that they are allowed to portion off private spaces only to certain houses.

Read the HOA bylaws so you can see what they are allowed to do.

I have and their is nothing in there about garage inspections or parking regulation. All of this has been communicated through a flyer they mailed to our homes.

Then, inform the HOA (via certified letter) that you will not allow them to inspect your garage since you are not required by the bylaws to do that. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back