1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Question about windows installed by landlord

Discussion in 'Living in, Use of the Premises' started by rascaldascal, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

It depends on (many) facts that we don't have.
    Based on what we've been told, what laws do you think have been violated?

2. P1776

P1776 Member

what other facts do you need to know.
    A landlord in California does not have to provide AC

3. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Nice flipflop.

justblue likes this.
  4. P1776

P1776 Member

Its the same position, ,just less words for simple minds

5. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps your earlier post was misstated?

In your post that I quoted here, you state that the LL, by providing an AC after move-in, must continue to provide it, the same as if it had been provided at move-in. That is not (necessarily) true.

You also state that "He is without AC and cant do nothing about it". That is a double negative, and is false. Doing nothing is certainly one of the options that the OP has.

6. P1776

P1776 Member

My original post and follow up comments summed it up, but i will simplify it for you.
    In California, he could try to make an argument that the landlord provided an amenity that was a condition of his lease (expressed or implied) and that he should continue to provide AC under this condition. However, CA law DOES NOT REQUIRE AC as a habitability issue.
    Therefore, it's my assessment that a judge would not require new AC units to be installed under these circumstances

7. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of simplification, it's a matter of clarity. You said one thing, I called you on it, then you said the opposite. Now you are sticking with your new position, and I agree with your new position.