Question about my cousin whom is presumed dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny5

December 30th of this year my cousin went snowmobiling and apparently fell thru the ice on a lake. The search has been put on hold due to unsafe conditions but they feel they located the machine while using solar. I've been informed that his life ins policy wouldn't take effect until January of this year. Will his date of death be the day they pull him out or will it be the day he went thru the ice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

I worked for a life ins. co. for 36+ years. We would need a death certificate before paying any benefits. The company would use the date of death on the death cert. which would have been determined by a medical examiner or coroner. They will determine a date of death for the death cert. after the body is found. We have had cases like this.

johnny5, I might just mention, in the possibility the body is not found, we would still require proof of death. We would still need a death certificate indicating cause of death & a date. We couldn't just assume he died from drowning & on a certain date just because we were told that by a family member. We would need something "official." Normally though, the body is found.

Thank you. My cousins wife is concerned that she won't be able to receive the life ins in order to cover final expenses and marital debt because she's been told that the date of death will be the day they went thru the ice. If this is the case than she would be out of luck since the policy wouldn't be valid until Jan 1 and they went thru the ice on Dec 30. I really hope the date of death will be the date he's recovered. Its a shame she even has to deal with this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

It "may" very well be determined he went through the ice on 12-30 & died on that date & that is what will be on the death cert. but the death cert. info (cause & date of death) will be decided by the medical examiner or coroner.

I'm also sorry your cousin's wife has to deal with this.

PS Truthfully, the date recovered would normally not be of any concern to the ins. co. - it's what is on the death certificate (what the actual cause & actual date of death is determined)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back