Question about being sued twice over same debt

M

MichaelKuzak

Jurisdiction
Ohio
A couple of years ago I was sued by a collection agency over credit card debt. I won the case and am wondering if it is possible for me to be sued again over that same debt--by the same or a different collection agency? (I have found many answers for those who have lost their case--specifically by default judgement--but nothing where the collection agency/creditor lost the case.

A couple of years ago I was sued by a collection agency over credit card debt. I won the case and am wondering if it is possible for me to be sued again over that same debt--by the same or a different collection agency? (I have found many answers for those who have lost their case--specifically by default judgement--but nothing where the collection agency/creditor lost the case.

Many people report being sued by various comers after prevailing in a lawsuit such as you've described.

You simply defend each successive time as you did when you first prevailed.
These creeps serially refile to get a default judgment.
Most of the time the SOL has run, but that means nothing to unethical grifters.

wondering if it is possible for me to be sued again over that same debt--by the same or a different collection agency?

Yes, it's certainly possible that you can be sued again, just not successfully.

If you are sued you have to respond and raise the defense of "res judicata" and move for a dismissal with prejudice.

You can google the term and read all about it.

Back