Question about association CC&Rs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD_Loops

How can I obtain the civil code/law that states that CC&Rs are binding and state law(California)?

I am currently in an association that the board members are refusing to share the bookkeeping with its members. It clearly states in the CC&Rs that they must do so upon request. My hope is I can attain a copy of the civil code that says that they must honor their CC&Rs and see their error before I need to pursue legal action.

I was looking over some Civil codes and came across this that is exactly what I was looking for.

Civil Code section 1354
(a) The covenants and restrictions in the declaration shall
be enforceable equitable servitudes, unless unreasonable, and shall
inure to the benefit of and bind all owners of separate interests in
the development. Unless the declaration states otherwise, these
servitudes may be enforced by any owner of a separate interest or by
the association, or by both.
(b) A governing document other than the declaration may be
enforced by the association against an owner of a separate interest
or by an owner of a separate interest against the association.
(c) In an action to enforce the governing documents, the
prevailing party shall be awarded reasonable attorney's fees and
costs.

If possible I would like someone to confirm what I am reading in this section is what im looking for. Also if someone could direct me to other Civil Codes relating to CC&Rs for common-interest developments (doesn't need to be for this situation). Thanks!

You all need to hire a lawyer.

Thanks for the advice
Should I hire a lawyer to sue the association? (which of course I would like to avoid and just get the association to comply with whats written in their CCR's)
or
should I hire a lawyer who would know something about CCR's get information to threaten legal action?
or
Is there a web site I can go to and get some information myself to present to the board of the association about possible legal complications?

Just seems like your advice is a little vague to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back