1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Purchased car with down payment and financing and the dealership didn't have a clear title

Discussion in 'Car Sales, Dealers, Repairs, Lemon Law' started by Wendy Tester, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Wendy Tester

Wendy Tester Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    North Carolina
    Hi,
    We purchased a vehicle for my son with 4,000.00 down and financed the remaining balance of the car. We have made one payment on the car. We received a call from the dealership asking us to return the car and they will pay off the loan because they do not have a title to the car. I asked to be made whole and have a comparable car and retain my deposit. This was blatant breach of contract. What recourse do I have?

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

By getting everything paid back to you, you are made whole.

3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

All your entitled to is your money back and cancellation of the loan. If you want a comparable car after that, go buy one.

4. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

You either work something out with the dealer or sue for breach of contract, but you should be aware that returning your down payment and cancelling or paying the loan in full will make you whole.