Puppy I sold now has cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicole1745

I sold a papered dog about 7 months ago. I received a call a few days ago from the owners telling me the dog who is now 10 months old has cancer. Their vet is telling them that it is terminal. I'm not a full time breeder or anything and they did not sign any kind of contract. They are asking for either all or half of the money back that they paid for the dog. They say they have put a lot of money into vet bills and etc. I feel really bad about this and morally I feel like I should give them some money back because the dog is so young. But, I was just wondering if legally they would be able to sue me for any of this money? There isn't even anything on paper stating how much they paid for the puppy. I haven't spoken to my vet yet, but the research I did online shows that the type of cancer is genetic. I feel really bad about this but I wasn't aware that this ran in the genes. I never had any problems with my dogs they've always been really healthy. This was also their first and only litter. So, I'm just wondering my legal responsibility or if there is one?

You have no legal responsibility for the dog. Dogs are sold AS-IS unless you gave them a warranty. Tell them you are sorry but living things die. How long do they think you need to be on the hook for their dog? If he got cancer after 1 year would they want money back?

The answer is: I'm sorry for you situation, but I'm not responsible for diseases the dog develops months after he is sold. Good bye!

Good luck. Don't worry if they sue you they lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back