Pulled over 2x in same day for same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapril68

I recently bought a car from my boyfriends friend (95 honda accord v-tech) and the car I guess has an after market exhaust (which I wasn't aware was illegal) ... well anyways on Saturday I was pulled over by an officer (Federal Way, WA) in the afternoon who gave me a warning and told me I need to put on a different exhaust because its too loud, so I told him I'd look into it on Monday. Well that night I was driving home from a friends house and was on the freeway (Tacoma, Pierce Co) heading home when another officer pulled me over for the same exact thing. I explained to him that I was already warned about it that day and that I wasn't aware the exhaust was illegal and he gave me a ticket anyways. Today, a friend of mine said that technically the officer shouldn't have given me a ticket for the exhaust because he didnt measure or meter the exhaust and would have no way of telling for sure if it was illegal just by the sound. So my question is, is my friend right, and if so do I have any way of beating this ticket. I am looking into getting a resignator for the exhaust and will bring proof of that to court but do you think I could get this ticket dropped? Please advise and thanks for your help!

The question the judge will ask you when you go to court will be - Why did you continue to drive the car after being warned that you had an illegal exhaust on it? As for looking into getting a resignator, that will not help get the ticket dropped... Good Luck!

So the only way to get the ticket dropped is to buy a whole new exhaust???And the reason I drove the car afterwards is because I don't have the funds right now to get this fixed. My fiance isn't working and this car is our only means for transportation. How would I go about getting this ticket actually dropped then? And on the ticket it states, mitigation hearing or contested hearing. Which one do I do? Should I contest this since I wasn't aware the exhaust was illegal or should I just mitigate it? I've never had a ticket like this before so Im not sure what my options I need to proceed with?

Q: How would I go about getting this ticket actually dropped then? And on the ticket it states, mitigation hearing or contested hearing. Which one do I do?

A: Get your car fixed and then ask for the mitigation hearing.

Q: Should I contest this since I wasn't aware the exhaust was illegal or should I just mitigate it?

A: You have no defense; so do the mitigation.

Okay so if you read above you'd see that I was given advice to mitigate this ticket. So now my problem is that the I got a quote on how much to fix this problem and it was 1000.00 so I was trying to save the money to fix this. In the meantime since this was my ONLY source for transportation I still needed to drive this car to and from work. On Friday my car was stolen from the parking lot at work. I reported the incident to the police and could not claim on my insurance because we had not yet transfered the title in our name (we were waiting on the title in the mail) so basically I had to go out and buy another car. This vehicle has not yet been found and probably wont due to the type of vehicle it is. So am I still going to MITIGATE this ticket or would I now CONTEST it since I no longer have this vehicle in my possession? I do not want to be cited a ticket for a car I no longer have that wasn't even in mine or my boyfriends name yet? Please advise what to do? Im at my wits end with this???? Need to h/b as soon as possible so I can send this ticket in for a court date.

Ps ~ I live in Washington state.

Okay so if you read above you'd see that I was given advice to mitigate this ticket. So now my problem is that the I got a quote on how much to fix this problem and it was 1000.00 so I was trying to save the money to fix this. In the meantime since this was my ONLY source for transportation I still needed to drive this car to and from work. On Friday my car was stolen from the parking lot at work. I reported the incident to the police and could not claim on my insurance because we had not yet transfered the title in our name (we were waiting on the title in the mail) so basically I had to go out and buy another car. This vehicle has not yet been found and probably wont due to the type of vehicle it is. So am I still going to MITIGATE this ticket or would I now CONTEST it since I no longer have this vehicle in my possession? I do not want to be cited a ticket for a car I no longer have that wasn't even in mine or my boyfriends name yet? Please advise what to do? Im at my wits end with this???? Need to h/b as soon as possible so I can send this ticket in for a court date.

Ps ~ I live in Washington state.

Sounds like you are the mercy of the court now.

Whoever stole your car did you real harm.

The car was found yesterday and was stripped. We now have the car in our possession and the guy that sold it to us is keeping it at his house because its still in his name and hes going to try and fix it back up?! So basically now Im asking would I still mitigate this ticket and bring proof the car was stolen and just explain we are trying to fix damages and stuff? I would LOVE for this ticket to be dropped because we werent aware in the first place that the exhaust the owner put on was illegal. Do you think if I bring in all documents showing we got a quote for exhaust to be fixed and bring in the proof the car was stolen that the judge might drop this? Or am I just wasting my time and should just pay the ticket? Any advice??? The car is STILL in the other guys name and I really dont want this ticket to go on MY record for something I wasnt aware of in the first place???

I would LOVE for this ticket to be dropped because we werent aware in the first place that the exhaust the owner put on was illegal.

Ignorance of the law is no defense.

Q: Do you think if I bring in all documents showing we got a quote for exhaust to be fixed and bring in the proof the car was stolen that the judge might drop this?

A: Try it; I don't know if it will work or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back