Public Storage in his name, I pay, he left stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChosenOne

My ex and I opened a public storage on Long Island in Feb. 2007. He paid the down payment and the third month. (2nd month was free). For the next five years I have paid it. $200/month for 5 years--you do the math! Talk about a monkey on my back. I'm FINALLY in a position to clean it out and sell all my stuff. (I dont' drive, and lived away from it) He also has stuff in there. lots of it. including his mother's stuff he put in there when she went into a nursing home 6 years ago. while he tells me he never wanted the storage in the first place and keeps telling me he wants nothing to do with it, 1-he certainly had time to drop off MORE stuff, and 2- he hasn't been there in quite a few years. (4 or 5 maybe).

At what point does possession become 9/10th of the law? how long does it take for his stuff to be "abandoned" ? The last thing I need is for him to get a bug up his butt and try to sue me for what he had in there. (not that he can remember anyway) If that's the case, maybe I could sue him for half of the money I've given them. (could I? Oh man that would be awesome!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You wont likely get a judgment against him as you propose.
As for his property it is best to notify him of your intent to vacate so he has opportunity to recover it.
Otherwise, when the time comes remove your property only and stop paying. If he does not pick up his property or start making payments then the storage facility will handle things from there.
You should make a legitimate effort to notify him of your intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back