Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant Public Intoxication and Resisting Arrest charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

colormeonce

A couple of weeks ago, I went out on a party bus for a friend's 21st birthday. We went to a club downtown, and I ended up getting completely wasted. I got kicked out of the club, (apparently I lost my shoes, and I was harassing the bouncer) and my friends were going to stick me in the bus until everyone was leaving, but I guess I never made it that far. I was taken into a detaining room in the club, and was initially just going to be sent to detox, but because I wasn't cooperating, I was taken to jail instead. I was also taken to the hospital first (not sure exactly why, i feel like i was there for only a few minutes, and i remember badgering the police officer) and have just recently received a bill for that.

Basically I blacked out for most of the night - I don't remember being kicked out of the club, getting arrested, and my memory only started up again when I was in the back of the cop car. I do remember slipping a hand out of the handcuffs though... I was really just being ridiculously belligerent and I was giving the cop a really hard time.

I only have a couple of weeks left until my court date, so I am just really wondering what the best way to handle this situation is. I am 21, female, a junior in college in good standing and I am really concerned about this appearing on my record, how it will affect school and work opportunities, etc. I have never been in trouble before, and this is really out of character for me.

I might have a enough money for a lawyer if i try and scrape it together, but I guess what I am wondering is if:

1. would it be worth hiring a lawyer vs. using a public defender? is there any chance that a lawyer might be able to get the charges reduced better than a public defender?

2. a friend who has recommended that i use a public defender has told me from a dui experience that i should start attending AA meetings beforehand and show proof to the judge. is this a good idea, or is it a bit incriminating, since i wouldn't consider myself an alcoholic and think of this as more of just an isolated accident?

3. another friend has recommended i get letters of recommendation to prove my character to the judge, is this good idea/going to make a difference?

4. what are the typical outcomes, procedures, etc. of people facing these charges? what are the best outcomes?

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this, and any form of advice is very very very much appreciated. My family doesn't know about any of this, and it is all very foreign to me, but I want to do whatever it takes to get the best outcome.

2. a friend who has recommended that i use a public defender has told me from a dui experience that i should start attending AA meetings beforehand and show proof to the judge. is this a good idea, or is it a bit incriminating, since i wouldn't consider myself an alcoholic and think of this as more of just an isolated accident?

Do you have any previous convictions? This is good advice. It's kind of standard operating procedure. There should be an attendence sheet you get, and each AA meeting the chair will sign it.

Your public defender is usually a lawyer. Sometimes they can be pretty good. It's a crap-shoot, wheras hiring a lawyer on your own you can get someone you like, your public defender may be a flaming idiot. You should contact criminal defense attorneys in your area now, and ask if you can come in for a free consultation. Be aware, this may be a high pressure situation for you to hire them. You need to make sure they are criminal defense attorneys, then see that they've had cases like yours many times, and are familiar with the court/Judge you are going before.

You were taken to the hospital first because of either your actions, or also if you had a high Blood Alcohol level. They don't want you to die of alcohol poisoning or withdrawals while in jail.

You should see if you can get free legal help through your college. I know when I went to University in Michigan there was free legal aid for students in similar situations as your own.

Good Luck.

Do you have any previous convictions? This is good advice. It's kind of standard operating procedure. There should be an attendence sheet you get, and each AA meeting the chair will sign it.

Your public defender is usually a lawyer. Sometimes they can be pretty good. It's a crap-shoot, wheras hiring a lawyer on your own you can get someone you like, your public defender may be a flaming idiot. You should contact criminal defense attorneys in your area now, and ask if you can come in for a free consultation. Be aware, this may be a high pressure situation for you to hire them. You need to make sure they are criminal defense attorneys, then see that they've had cases like yours many times, and are familiar with the court/Judge you are going before.

You were taken to the hospital first because of either your actions, or also if you had a high Blood Alcohol level. They don't want you to die of alcohol poisoning or withdrawals while in jail.

You should see if you can get free legal help through your college. I know when I went to University in Michigan there was free legal aid for students in similar situations as your own.

Good Luck.

I have also heard this legal advice to start these classes early to show that you are indeed serious about the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back