Property Management charging "fee" as tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodgrief

My jurisdiction is: Phoenix East Valley, Arizona

Hello,
The other problem I'm having with this Property Management Company, is the ""rental tax" they are charging us.

In my Town, Residential Rental Tax is 1.5%. However, we are being charged 3.5% tax. This amount was in the initial lease paperwork, and we took it for what it was, not having rented in over 10 years.

However, as we're getting ready for tax season, my Tax Adviser informed us of the correct amount for our Town.

I did finally get a hold of the Accounting gal at the Property Management, and after getting the Town's fee correct, she refused credits to me account for overpayment of taxes, claiming that the 'monthly service fee' was also included in that tax.

The wording in our lease states that the monthly service fees are "included in the rent", not as an additional 2% monthly tax. If they are collecting additional monies as a tax, don't they have to send them somewhere? Is there another entity that I should be contacting to get these monies back?
And what to do about the remaining months on this lease?

I am really afraid to call them with these concerns more that once a month, because I don't want them to decide that we're bothersome, and not renew our lease. It is specifically noted in our "welcome packet" to not repeatedly call them, that they'll get back to you.

Thank you again for your help and advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back