property grading changed after closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

halldj60103

I recently purchased a newly constructed home. After I closed and moved-in, the builder stated the west side of my property grading would have to be re-engineered. To my surprise yesterday, I noticed a worker digging a deep trench with a bull dozer along the property line. This was never discussed during the buying or construction process. I complained today and my builder stated the trench would be necessary to allow for drainage. I stated this was unacceptable and he is having my property surveyed again, but he suspects a retaining wall will have to be constructed. This wall could possibly be 8 feet high. Again, this is an unacceptable solution and possibly a safety issue. In any case, this isn't the lot I purchased or envisioned. Had I known this, I would have chosen a different lot. I like my house, but I feel like I'm paying for the builders mistake. What are my legal options here? Thanks.

Originally posted by halldj_60103
I recently purchased a newly constructed home. After I closed and moved-in, the builder stated the west side of my property grading would have to be re-engineered. To my surprise yesterday, I noticed a worker digging a deep trench with a bull dozer along the property line. This was never discussed during the buying or construction process. I complained today and my builder stated the trench would be necessary to allow for drainage. I stated this was unacceptable and he is having my property surveyed again, but he suspects a retaining wall will have to be constructed. This wall could possibly be 8 feet high. Again, this is an unacceptable solution and possibly a safety issue. In any case, this isn't the lot I purchased or envisioned. Had I known this, I would have chosen a different lot. I like my house, but I feel like I'm paying for the builders mistake. What are my legal options here? Thanks.

The best answer is a question. What does your contract say with regard to changes and modifications to what you bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back