Property dispute?+Children

W

wmpr

Jurisdiction
Louisiana
Okay. Well, here is my issue. And while it has little to do with my property or ownership rights, it affects me. (I'm not a law student, so bear with me here.) So the problem has to do with both marriage (?) and property as well as control of children. My girlfriend and I are both minors, we live a good distance apart and we try to see each other as much as we can. The issue here is the "dad". While he is legally her father as well as biologically, he doesn't act like one, verbally (and sometimes but not often) physically abuses them, and when police are called or something else, it's always ruled as "discipline". He's arrogant and narcissistic. He claims that he "owns" his children and controls them completely, and that the mother has no say so in anything. He also claims that the house is completely his, and her mothers car is also his. Now, correct me if I'm wrong. They were never legally married. No wedding, no ring, nothing. But, if I'm not mistaken, they are legally married by common law. That means basically "What's mine is yours, and what's yours is mine". Am I correct? His argument is that because he pays for the house, it's his. But it's in the mothers name. Now, the car is under HIS name, but the mother pays for it, yet he still tries to control it. My question/issue is, does he have control over everything, or does the mother have some say so as well? I'm only 16, not a law student, and still in high school. So some of what I said may be incorrect, so sorry for that. Also, I didn't know exactly where to post this, so feel free to move it to the correct section (moderators).

Also, if he puts his hands on me while I'm visiting my girlfriend, can I fight back in self defense, or am I in the wrong?

If GF's Dad objects to your presence in his home or around his daughter, I suggest you pay attention to that, regardless of his and GF's Mom's relationship (which is, quite frankly, none of your business).

And if any minors are being abused or neglected, they should call the police or report it to CPS.

Back