proper eviction and being sued

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaja

hello i am from houston,texas and i was evicted or told to vacate the home june 8th..i was out of town until june 6th and saw a note on my home late that nite i had 3 days to move...it was a note by landlord not by a sheriff or anything..i was behind on rent 3 months and the landlord was trying to allow me to get back on my feet i never could though,,,so i was told to vacate and i moved a 6 bedroom home all in one day or at least 85% i was exhausted from moving until 4am june 8th ...the letter was taped on my door guessing june 5th... ,,on june 8th i got a call from some rep of hers threatening me she was going to send me to eviction court if i did not send her the key in 1 hr in which i was 1 hr and 15min away and after trying to reason for 15min or so i only had 45 min and there ws no chance for me to get her that key in time,,,i wanted to clean the place and all and even to this day i kept the lights and water on because i was wanting to clean and keep the fish alive we could not move a 150 gallon tank in one day,,,anyhow i did bring keys june 9th i placed in mail box and then they changed the locks...i have fish still in there and they are punishing me somehow by not letting me in to have someone remove them,,,i still have elctric in that home but if i turn off elctric they will die...i have tried to reason and contact them but to no avail i am told to not trespass and i am afraid...they have now reported me to spca animal cruelty for leaving fish behind but i feel this is a false and malicious report ...lastly they keep telling me we will see you in court and dont worry...i have no notification until i recently called a family memebr of the land lord and she says i have loads of mail and i have a letter for me there to go to court,,but the landlords daughter send me a text stating if i go there i am trespassing...what the heck do i do????i am shaken

Last edited:
Going there for the purpose of collecting your mail or property is not trespassing. If the landlord does not return your property then the landlord could be held responsible for paying you for the loss. This would be something to address in a countersuit, however since you already moved out there should no longer be an eviction hearing. You can bring your own small claims complaint for the value of the property the landlord is withholding if you can't get the landlord to allow you access to retrieve it.

Also, you were not evicted. You left voluntarily. The landlord did nothing wrong by posting the 3 day notice. That is actually the first step prior to going to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back