promissory note

dmirvoda

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
My wife subleased a room from the hair solon on verbal agreement. After the covid-19 closure my wife and landlord both exchanged text messages and decided that my wife will move out from that room. Her landlord texted her to think about her move out decision and get back to her in 2 weeks. After 2 weeks both of them have dropped the ball and never talk\texted again while the business was closed during pandemic. After a few months, my wife found another location. At the time of the move her landlord made her sign a promissory note that she owes her rent for 3 months while her hair salon was closed. We paid her 462 dollars for the first month and told her that we think it should be enough to cover the storage of my wife's equipment in the room. I need to know if promissory note is legal to bind us in paying the whole amount (around 2400 dollars) as the note was provided to my wife minutes before we left the premises. We never had time to review the promissory note and my wife felt under pressure to sign it. Is there something that we can do to argue that we do not owe landlord rent money.

My wife subleased a room from the hair solon on verbal agreement. After the covid-19 closure my wife and landlord both exchanged text messages and decided that my wife will move out from that room. Her landlord texted her to think about her move out decision and get back to her in 2 weeks. After 2 weeks both of them have dropped the ball and never talk\texted again while the business was closed during pandemic. After a few months, my wife found another location. At the time of the move her landlord made her sign a promissory note that she owes her rent for 3 months while her hair salon was closed. We paid her 462 dollars for the first month and told her that we think it should be enough to cover the storage of my wife's equipment in the room. I need to know if promissory note is legal to bind us in paying the whole amount (around 2400 dollars) as the note was provided to my wife minutes before we left the premises. We never had time to review the promissory note and my wife felt under pressure to sign it. Is there something that we can do to argue that we do not owe landlord rent money.
Based only on what you've posted, it sounds pretty clearly like your wife owes the money.

Back