Problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneeuropeanman

Hello Everyone,

I have something which occured to me which i need some advice.
I was dumping some garbage recently in a new project area when someone called the police to state I was stealing stuff, they also stated they chased me and took down my plates. "stated I drove off like a mad man"

So the police show up at my door and immediatly ask me were I have been.
I told them I was dumping garbage in a new construction area "in the garbage bins"
they said did you take anything I said no look inside my car. "naturally there was nothing there"

Now my question is they will file a report to state they followed up on the complain. But should I be concerned? I mean i did nothing wrong.. will they keep investigating or should I just let this pass.?

Seems to me since they found no evidence it would appear closed.. but will they keep investigating? I mean there are no signs that state no dumping so I was dumping closed bags in the garbage . Possible more than 1 person saw me.. and reported me.. but reporting me for theft and then not finding anything "all within 20 min" makes me worried they might be looking for something? should I be concerned? or simply not worry about it as the police found nothing in my car.

Thank you for all you're help

Enjoy the site tremendously..

They would probably find out if any valuables were lost in the area you were seen. If no complain, it would close the investigation. If they are told something was lost, they would try to probe deeper………..But will not be able to file charges without more evidence. The time window and your prompt cooperation is on your side. Don't worry; you have nothing to worry about from your story. They will not just file charges because some guy said that………….They need more witnesses and evidence to go forward.

ah it was a construction site, so the man was claiming I took bricks.. I did indeed see bricks on the ground but there were tons of bricks not sure if they have them all accounted for but from the looks of it it was all on the ground spread all over .. I am still perplexed how they assumed it was me? wrong place wrong time.. I guess..

Well thank yuo soo much for the reply.

What makes me worried is if he thought I was talking things.. what if other people saw the same thing?? I mean at the end of the story the police did come to my house "all within 20 min and see nothing wsa in my vehicle..

I guess I am just worried someone else will call and say they saw me.. "which is possible since I was dumping garbage." the frist witness did describe me perfectly along with his wife to the police.. I explained to the police, yes I was there and was dumping garbage and came home..

Don't worry.................There is not much you can do but sit and wait. If there is anything, you would know within probably a month max. If you don't hear anything, then they probably closed the investigation. If the cops did not see any residue from the bricks or implicating evidence in your car........within those 20minutes, they would be leaning towards closing the investigation unless some other evidence arise. Just don't call them! They might feel you are panicking………….

Thank You

Thank you for all you're help, I def feel much better..

2 police officers, the frist one was telling me not to worry since there was no evident in the car. And the second one was a little more aggressive but also noticed their was nothing in the truck..

My record is clean and plan on keeping it that way.. how does a police report affect a persons record? I would assume it would not since they found no evidence.

If you are not formally charged, it does not affect you negatively.........anyone can make a false complain to the police............so you are okay.

Go on with your life..........don't call except maybe after two months...........So pretend nothing ever happened........

There's no way of knowing whether the cops consider you a suspect but you can obtain the police report through a freedom of information, or FOIA, request. FOIA means Freedom of Information Act.

On the form, include the time, date and location of incident. The police dept. has seven business days to respond (in Illinois at least). The cost should be minimal, maybe a buck or two, depending on how many pages.

The report might contain blotted out info (a witness' name, phone number, etc.), though.

If they reject your request, you might be under investigation or the dept's FOIA officer is lazy or on vacation and he/she is hoping you go away. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, file an appeal and be persistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back