Problem with school

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalfBrandt

Last year I got my HS diploma via a school in FL. They are nationally accredited etc and it was one of those "earn it at home" type programs.

I'm attempting to set up my college classes for this fall (first time going to college) and as I am busy during the day with work and things I had someone I thought I could trust call in to my school to get information on attaining my transcripts and possibly setting up a callback.

I received a call back from the school the next day as I was hoping and was unexpectedly informed that someone was very rude to one of the employees at the school. Name calling from the sound of it. I'm not sure what was said but they seem to be giving me a hassle about it. I apologized on behalf of the person who called in for me and went on to discuss how to get my transcripts and such. They still seem to be giving me grief about this incident. The school still hasn't told me exactly what was said over the phone and the person who had called in for me is very hard to get a hold of as they don't have a permanent place of residency.

My question is, due to whatever was said over the phone, can they refuse to send my transcripts to the college I'm applying for? I've already sent in my request form and credit card info and I'm pretty screwed if I don't get my transcripts.

Like I said I'm not longer a student there, I just need my transcripts.

This school always seems to give me trouble. I'd tried joining the military with my diploma only to find out they wouldn't accept it. The diploma was $450.00 :no:

Last edited:
Last year I got my HS diploma via a school in FL. They are nationally accredited etc and it was one of those "earn it at home" type programs.

I'm attempting to set up my college classes for this fall (first time going to college) and as I am busy during the day with work and things I had someone I thought I could trust call in to my school to get information on attaining my transcripts and possibly setting up a callback.

I received a call back from the school the next day as I was hoping and was unexpectedly informed that someone was very rude to one of the employees at the school. Name calling from the sound of it. I'm not sure what was said but they seem to be giving me a hassle about it. I apologized on behalf of the person who called in for me and went on to discuss how to get my transcripts and such. They still seem to be giving me grief about this incident. The school still hasn't told me exactly what was said over the phone and the person who had called in for me is very hard to get a hold of as they don't have a permanent place of residency.

My question is, due to whatever was said over the phone, can they refuse to send my transcripts to the college I'm applying for? I've already sent in my request form and credit card info and I'm pretty screwed if I don't get my transcripts.

Like I said I'm not longer a student there, I just need my transcripts.

This school always seems to give me trouble. I'd tried joining the military with my diploma only to find out they wouldn't accept it. The diploma was $450.00 :no:

If you've submitted the request and payment, then they will have to provide the transcripts. However, if the military refused to accept the transcripts, then I would be very surprised if a university or college accepts them. My guess is that the accreditation agency is not a recognized one. You might want to check that out.

Although it doesn't really matter, I'm a little confused about your story. You relied on someone you can't contact to get information for you about obtaining your transcripts?

Yeah. This person kind of comes and goes. Pretty deadbeat. Asked them to do a simple task for me while I was at work since I don't have time to use the phone much during the day. The Army will take this transcript, the Marines and Air Force will not. I should have specified. The Marines said that since it was not earned in a classroom environment, it's no good.

I received an email from the school this morning.

In reference to the written statement to the incident of June 11, 2009, as per consultation with our principal, the school needs the person whom called on your behalf to provide <school name> a written notarized statement that you (the student) was not the student whom contacted the school and stated the "N" word to one of our phone agents at the school on your behalf and said the "N" word which violated the institution's Scholastic Honor and Behavioral/Conduct Code in which you "may face only one possible penalty:

immediate expulsion from all academic programs/immediate revocation of any and all issued credentials and the forfeiture of all tuition fees." Please make sure that the statement that the person whom contacted our school on your behalf signs and notarizes the statement and mail back to <school name>'s Administration at <address>. Please send it in no later than 10 days (June 25, 2009) after receipt of this message. We thank you for your kind attention in this important matter and look forward to your notarized statement.

To which I replied:

This person does not live with me and I can not guarantee that I can reach this person. I was not aware that the "N" word was used. Whoever I spoke with was rather vague on this matter when I spoke with them on the telephone and I was under the impression this matter was cleared up already. Is it possible for me to apologize in their stead?

What should I do guys? Can they REALLY revoke my diploma?

Last edited:
I have to change my previous response, because it appears that they may be able to withhold your diploma, and actually revoke it.

Check the school's guidelines for student conduct, and its consequences. Then, find your pal and have him complete the letter they requested.

It's an "Earn your degree at home" type school. I can't find the code of conduct anywhere on the website. I was also under the impression that only students need to adhere to the code of conduct if one is available. It's ridiculous to think that they could dictate my life because I took some classes. I'm no longer a student there and haven't been for a year.

Not to mention we're talking about my diploma and someone other than me supposedly saying the N word. It's hearsay with no hard proof and I'm not going to unnecessarily jump through hoops because of it.

I'm on the phone with the Board of Education now. It doesn't sound like they're able to revoke my diploma, but I guess we'll see.

Well, according to the Florida Board of Education there is no way in hell a public school would be able to get away with something like this. Unfortunately for me, this is a private school and they can make up their own rules. Dunno. I'm gonna try contacting the principal of the school and see what can be done.

There has to have been some sort of contractual arrangement made. Somewhere on the site or in the paperwork you originally completed should have been an accounting of what each party's expectations was. That should include what rights the school maintains and what rights you hold.

And instead of e-mail, CALL the school and get the matter resolved if you can.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back