International Issue Problem with Police Certificate - Immigrating to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tot2

Hi,

I have a bit of a confusing situation:

I just received my Police Records from South Korea and to my SHOCK it stated 'wanted for violation of the Immigration Control Act' on (day)February, 2008.

I never broke the law while in Korea - in fact I have never broken the law anywhere.

I did have a slight issue with my school when I first arrived in Korea. As many schools used to do - I arrived on a tourist visa and was supposed to go to Japan immediately to get my work visa. My school wanted me to start right away (there is no such thing as saying 'NO' in Korea) and I was under the belieft that this would be okay...as the director kept on telling me. I taught for 5 hours that day and immigration did a spot check. I was questioned - stated my case that I was under the belief I was going to Japan and that my director had told me to work - that was that. I had to go to the police station with my director and give a statement, fingerprints etc. They allowed me to stay in Korea and to get my work visa. Through the translator provided at the Police Station I was told that there was not a problem on my side of things and that I could carry on as normal.

About 5 months later my director and I were asked to go to the immigration office (of which I was not provided with a translator) my boss was told off and after demanding that they tell me what they were saying in English, I was again told that there was no problem for me. However, my director was banned from hiring a foreign teacher for a year. Though me working was a breach of imigration on my behalf, my boss was blamed telling me it was okay and making me work that day. I asked immigration if there was anything against my file and any issue with me leaving Korea, if needed. I was told there were NO issues for me and that I could leave anytime. My boss was the one in trouble. Due to all of this stress and difficulty with my school I decided to break my contract. I cut the losses and left.

I had no issue leaving Korea, had my passport stamped, handed in my Alien Registration Card and boarded the plane. This was in July 2007.

So to my question - the police record states that I am wanted for this violation in February 2008 and I am not even certain what the violation is, as I was told that there was nothing against my file - I also left in July 2007...so why is February 2008 on the record? and the only problem I ever had with immigration was my first day (as discussed above).

Can anyone tell me if this will be an issue for Canadian Immigration and the processing of my permanent residence and what steps would be most appropriate from here? I am planning on going to the Korean Consulate and in addition speaking with a lawyer.

Appreciate any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back